Sign in to follow this  
chevygirl

+Cutting Saddle+ Can Anyone Identify This Cutter?

Just bought this, and I would really love to know what it is. The keepers were replaced at some point, so no help there. No other numbers on the saddle. Can anyone tell me what maker? 17" seat (to the stitching), 7" gullet. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hopefully my pics go through:

6376447661_a68f53d4d6_z.jpg

6376449429_f07a85360c_z.jpg

6376445219_db7bf87fdf_z.jpg

Yikes! I did not realize the pictures came out so dark! I uploaded these from my phone and they looked great, but I just looked at them on a computer and couldn't see anything! Sorry about that. Admins feel free to delete this thread. I will post better pics.

That is a pretty generic design for a cutter and several shops made similar ones. I had to do a double take when I saw your pictures. I rode a Circle Y for about 20 years that looked the same and I sold it last year. I had back dees under the rear jockey conchos to carry skid boot and strung them before I sold it. I also put some "take-off" star conchos and aluminum stirrups on it. What turned the tide for me was the horn and I had replaced the fenders with basket stamped ones about 10 years before. Mine had a little shorter horn and not the pitch to the horncap like yours. I got one a year or two after that first one and they put the horn on like yours. I never liked that higher horn and peddled it off. It was always in the way two-handing a colt in a snaffle and my shirt sleeve tended to get hooked by it.

That is a pretty generic design for a cutter and several shops made similar ones. I had to do a double take when I saw your pictures. I rode a Circle Y for about 20 years that looked the same and I sold it last year. I had back dees under the rear jockey conchos to carry skid boot and strung them before I sold it. I also put some "take-off" star conchos and aluminum stirrups on it. What turned the tide for me was the horn and I had replaced the fenders with basket stamped ones about 10 years before. Mine had a little shorter horn and not the pitch to the horncap like yours. I got one a year or two after that first one and they put the horn on like yours. I never liked that higher horn and peddled it off. It was always in the way two-handing a colt in a snaffle and my shirt sleeve tended to get hooked by it.

Bruce, thanks for the reply! Weird that you had one so similar.. After browsing some cutters online, I have found a few that were similar. The closest one so far was an older billy cook. I do not care for the horn, its rather inconvenient. Also, not many cutters that I have seen online have that style of horn. Would it be safe to assume this saddle is fairly old?

A Leddy comes to mind.