Lady Roper

How Do You Do That?

Would love to hear how you draw/design floral patterns, freehand, computer software??? Anyone out there have an educational dvd or books to recommend for the drawing challenged.

Would love to hear how you draw/design floral patterns, freehand, computer software??? Anyone out there have an educational dvd or books to recommend for the drawing challenged.

I'm way more lazy than that. I find line art or stock images online and use Paint.net program to turn them into line art.

I'm way more lazy than that. I find line art or stock images online and use Paint.net program to turn them into line art.

Is Paint.net one of the complicated to learn programs?

Is Paint.net one of the complicated to learn programs?

I don't think so. It's pretty intuitive. If you have ever used PhotoShop you'll jump right in and get to work.

I lost the CDs to my old copy of PhotoShop Pro 5. in a move. I download this and there only a few things I miss from the PS Pro program.

It's a free open soruce download too btw. http://www.getpaint.net/

I don't think so. It's pretty intuitive. If you have ever used PhotoShop you'll jump right in and get to work.

I lost the CDs to my old copy of PhotoShop Pro 5. in a move. I download this and there only a few things I miss from the PS Pro program.

It's a free open soruce download too btw. http://www.getpaint.net/

Thank You Sylvia. I'll give it a go. :taptap:

Hi there Lady Roper, I had the same problem which I partly solved by purchasing the following instruction books: SHERIDAN STYLE CARVING with Bill Gardner and Clinton Fay, SHERIDAN STYLE by Chan J Geer and FLORAL PATTERN DRAWING FOR THE ARTISTICALLY IMPAIRED by Pete Gorrell. I also googled how to draw flowers. One of my other hobbies is using a scroll saw so I sorted out my collection of sketches and made templates out of plywood. This allows me to try different shapes and sizes without having to use an eraser. It works for me. Hope you are successful in your quest - and have a happy new year. regards, TapTapTap

Thank You Tap Tap Tap. Will put my order in and let you know how it turns out.

Thank You Tap Tap Tap. Will put my order in and let you know how it turns out.

Hi Lady:

Have you had time to check out that Paint.net program yet?

I found a nice design today I downloaded the picture. It was about a 4x4 inch picture white on a pea green background. After a few click a button I have this.

post-26936-081932800 1325832151_thumb.jp

I did download the progam, managed to get a picture copied into it but wasn't able to figure out the proper tools to use to manipulate it. So in short got frustrated and downloaded an ebook with patterns. If there's a will, there's a way . I would rather draw my own patterns so they are original, hopefully I will figure it out someday.

Have just hunted for two post I remembered from a while back.

Post #6 from robert

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=10204&st=0&p=14178&hl

Post #10 from Hilly

http://leatherworker...t=0&p=146232

Hope they are some help

Tony

Edited by OutBackP

I did download the progam, managed to get a picture copied into it but wasn't able to figure out the proper tools to use to manipulate it. So in short got frustrated and downloaded an ebook with patterns. If there's a will, there's a way . I would rather draw my own patterns so they are original, hopefully I will figure it out someday.

Ok, let me give you a brief tutorial

1. you want simple designs with high contrast. Too much shading or too many colors make it harder.

2. Under "Adjustments" click "black and white"

3. Under "adjustments" click "brightness contrast" and slide the bars to the picture is nice and clean (typically brighter and more contrast)

4. Done. Save and print.

Ok, let me give you a brief tutorial

1. you want simple designs with high contrast. Too much shading or too many colors make it harder.

2. Under "Adjustments" click "black and white"

3. Under "adjustments" click "brightness contrast" and slide the bars to the picture is nice and clean (typically brighter and more contrast)

4. Done. Save and print.

I'll give it a go again, I think the pic I used had to much contrast. I appreciate the time you have taken to reply to my post. Thank you Sylvia

Have just hunted for two post I remembered from a while back.

Post #6 from robert

http://leatherworker...st=0&p=14178

Post #10 from Hilly

http://leatherworker...t=0&p=146232

Hope they are some help

Tony

I do want to draw my own designs and this is great info. I have lots of :Lighten: running through my head just need to learn how to get them on paper. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Sharpening the pencil to practice, practice, practice. Thank God for erasers.