Sign in to follow this  
DJ1935

Western Split Reins

Just wondering if someone can tell me the most common width and thickness for a pair of split reins. I have been making mine 5/8" wide out of W&C bridle (single thickness) but now find out that everyone wants heavier reins. As I cant source any thicker bridle leather I'm wondering do I sew two lengths together, if so all the way along or do I taper it off about half way and increase the width to 3/4". Some expert advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

DJ

DJ,

I make mine from doubled 7/9 oz latigo , and sew in a popper at the bottom. The popper extends about 4" past the doubled latigo. The popper also adds a little weight to the end to hang good and be able to slide one when you need to. I skive the top end and sandwich it between the two main body pieces. I sew them up and use water loops for the bit end. After they are made up, I 10 second dip them in olive oil and let them drip. It gives them a body, weight, and feel I like. I used to make 5/8 and 3/4 widths. Never failed, if all I had left was 5/8, they wanted 3/4, if all I was 3/4, they wanted 5/8. Now I make them 11/16". I can sell them either way - full 5/8 or scant 3/4. I cut them the length of the side, tail end to the head of the hide. I keep them paired, and sell them by length. Some people like a 7 footer for babies, and others like 8 footers for big horses or showing a cutter. I just mark them for length and hang them up.

Here's a testimonial a customer left on my blog - "You make the most awesome reins. I’ve won quite a bit of money NRCHA with them." She is understating things a bit on her end, she's a campaigner and as a non-pro she has trained I think 4 Supreme Reined Cowhorses in the NRCHA.

DJ,

Another option is to go get some Thoroughbred tanned harness leather. Cut you rens with the tail from the neck and the bit end from the butt. Thoroughbred makes I think it's a 15/17 oz harness. They will be plenty heavy for anybody. Those Thoroughbred sides tend to be really long to so I can generally get reins to be in between 8 and 9 foot long. And that's a pretty harness leather just used water and Feibings Yellow Paste Saddle Soap and it slicks edges up real nice. 5/8" reins are my most popular size. Hope thats helps.

Ross

www.nrcowboygear.com

I do mine like RWB except I use 15 / 17 wickett & Craig. these hides are generally a bull or older animal hide and tend to have a nice heavy neck on them that puts some weight to the ends. hope thats helpful

Dink

When I made the reins to make that saddle I built, I rolled the bodies of the reins over at a certain point to make them the weight I wanted, I think I used 7/9oz. but I'd have to go to the barn and check before I could tell you you for certain