So I have a question about cleaning leather that has been cased. I had a friend stop by the shop, I was letting a piece of leather case a little on the tooling stone as I was finishing another project. My buddy stops by and was b.s. ing and went to reach for something above the bench, as he did this he put his hand down right in the middle of the leather. A rather large peice I might add. well know I have a big hand print right in the middle of it and I cant get it to come out.

So this is the question, I have heard of an acid Oxcylic I think that you can use to clean any dirty spots but I cant get any in my area(tandy doesnt sell it any more) This project is due to ship in a week so I dont have time to truck any in. I thought that I heard of using something else but I dont remember what it was so if anyone could chime in and help me out I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

Hey thanks but one more question how the heck do I use it? I have never had to use it before but I hear I shoud use it every time I tool something so any info on that next question would sure help.

Tim

Tim,

The mix is something like 1 oz Oxalic crystals to 1 pint of water. You can also use lemion juice...it works pretty well...but I like oxalic acid better. Is the project already tooled or is it going to be tooled? Also is it just dirt on the leather? I'm asking because the oxalic acid makes the leather more difficult to cut with your swivel knife. I apply it with a piece of trimmed woolskin which allows me to do some very light scrubbing. You'll want to cover the whole piece tp prevent any color changes.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

Thank you, The piece is not tooled yet but is going to be. I cant find any oxcylic acid so I guess I will have to use the lemon juice and cross my fingers.