Jesleright

Tapering Belt Straps

To those experienced with strap cutting,

i have a 'Finished Double Shoulder 8 to 9 oz. Black' from TLF. Cut a straight edge on the long side, but every time i try to cut strips with the wooden strap cutter,

the strap tapers from the start of the cut.

The leather itself is EXTREMELY difficult to cut with any of the knives i have. The strap cutter doesn't taper with other vegetable tanned leather of the same thickness, just with this black stuff. i tried changing the blade, and have used both sides of the strap cutter (one side is slightly dipped in where the blade bar goes through the handle; the other side is flat.)

So, is the leather the problem, or is it the strap cutter, or is it me?

I had the same problem with one of my strap cutters a while ago.

The convex curve of the handle should be on the 'hide' side (red on pic). I lightly glued a small piece of card (about 1/4" wide x 1/16" thick) inside the handle (green arrow). This has the effect of increasing the angle between the blade bar and the handle (blue arrow), which in turn increases the angle between the blade and the handle. This causes the strap to be pushed more tightly against the handle, and prevents the blade from wandering outwards.

I was using a 5oz leather, and it worked for me.

post-7199-065445000 1285805597_thumb.jpg