freedom13

Saddle Making Books By Stohlman Vol 4

Hi all, Maybe it is a late midlife crisis at 64 but I have bought a horse and am getting back to riding but all the gear is passed it. I have been refreshing my old brain before starting to build a new saddle after 30 years not doing any leather work at all. The range of books etc that is available now is amazing. When I started out the only book that I could find in Australia was Bruce Grant's book 'How to Make Cowboy Horse Gear'. I have purchased among other books the Stohlman Encyclopedia of Saddle Making Vol 1, 2 and 3. There are references throughout the books of a Volume 4. Does anyone know if this was ever published or has this valuable information been lost after the passing of Al and Ann?

Cheers,

Richard

Richard,

I'm afraid poor health prevented them from completing any more books. It's a shame, they would have been a treasure.

CW

I only wished that the rest of the books that had in mind would have been completed. Looking at my library, I would suggest maybe Beatie's "Saddle" book and Yates' Western Saddle Making book. I know that the Beatie book might be hard to find. Yates' books are still available on eBay and from Propletic.com the publishers of Shop Talk. Finally, you can call Hidecrater's in Fort Worth and check out their videos on saddle making from Bill Gomer and Dusty Johnson.

Also, the Leather Crafter's & Saddlers Journal also has a special publication on how to make a saddle from this saddle making series. It can be purchased from their website, check it out.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I thought that it would be the case but just had to ask in case more info had been delivered under a different name or publisher.

Richard

Richard,

I'm afraid poor health prevented them from completing any more books. It's a shame, they would have been a treasure.

CW

I am just finding this thread now as i was reading volume 1, with 2 and 3 waiting to be read and thinking "i have never seen Vol 4...." and wondering if it had been published... Thank you for the other ideas of where to look for information. Oh how i wish they had been able to publish more books!

I asked that same question of Ann quite a few years ago. She told me that Al had passed away before he got the chance to finish vol #4. She sent me a couple of pages on the subject that I was asking about. She also put me in contact with Bob Pleyton and he sent me some pages from the Robin Yates book. Very well illustrated and complete, aside from the Stohlman books, the Yates book is where I would go for information.

Bob