red3

What Kind Of Leather For A Briefcase?

My girlfriend wants me to try and make a briefcase that is firm enough to stand up with a laptop in it, similar to Esantoro's maverick bags. I bought some 5-6 oz chrome tanned leather but it seems too soft to make a semi rigid bag. Can anyone point me to the leather that might work? It seems like a veg-tan but Esantoro and Saddleback both say that they use chrome tan.....Thanks in advance....

Don

I think you need to be looking at Harness Leather.

I agree, soft chrome tanned isn't going to do it. Harness leather, boot leather, stiff veg tan if you want to go to the trouble. 6oz and up. Call up Springfield Leather and tell them what you want to do. They might have some oil tanned sides on the cheap that would work.

Their is a firm tempered chrome tan leather. Ask some of the suppliers if they will send you a sample piece to look at that way you can tell if it will work.

According to walden bags you can commission them in oil chrome tan at the lowest price, then moving up in price to veg tan, latigo or bridle leather. They typically use oil chrome tan leather in bags because it's more weather resistant. It is used in saddle bags a lot.

If it were me I would probably use bridle leather.

Make it out of whatever you want to and just add stiffeners on the inside. It could have a wire frame, or stiffener panels in between the outer, and liner.