chadnorth

What Type Of Clear Finish?

I made this bracelet and dyed it using Eco Flo Java Brown along with Coal Black. I went to use the Leather Balm Atom wax to finish it and some of the dye started to smear as I was brushing it. Luckily I was able to clean it up, still came out nice. I'm wondering if I didn't let it dry long or is it because of the finish? This is all from Tandy's Leather Supplies. Sould I have use Eco Flo Finish for Eco Flo Dyes? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chad

post-36372-0-36180500-1352757648_thumb.j

Use resolene or mop n glo, either one cut by 50% water. Or that's what I use on all my things, painted, dyed, stained, antiqued..... If you are going to antique, put the finish on first, then after it's dry the antique. Since the antique is thick I make sure it's really dry and then put a second coat of finish. It's best to do these finishes in light coats and repeat....but they don't take a long time to dry.

I have no experience with wax so don't know which thing caused you stains to run. Maybe they weren't dry enough or maybe the wax, I really don't know. I don't use wax. Cheryl

More than likely they weren't completely dry. I normally let any dye (Eco-Flo, Fiebings, or Angelus) dry for several hours, overnight if I can.

Chief

ok thanks! Yeah the dry time was about one hour...so that's probably why it did that...

I nearly forgot, most dyes will leave residual pigment, so it's best to make sure you get it off, with water based dyes I normally wipe the item with a damp cloth after it has dried, this will remove the residue from water based dyes (EcoFlo), the other thing I do is buff the item vigorously for some time, it takes some work but it will remove residual residue as well, I do the buffing on water based dyes after wiping with a damp cloth, spirit based dyes I just buff without wiping with a damp cloth. This helps quite a bit, you may still get some residue off when you apply the finish, it shouldn't be a problem and should actually "smooth" out the coloring of the dye.

Hope that helps, perhaps some of the dying experts will jump in with some other tips, this is how I do it and have been pretty happy with the results.

Chief