DreadPirateRedbeard

What is this and how do I use it?

I know this is probably a dumb question but I've had this thing for a while but have never known what it's for. Can someone tell me what it's used for and how to use it?

Tool01.jpg

Tool02.jpg

I dont know for sure but it looks like a hand press, for setting rivets, snaps and eyelets. But dont quote me on that.

Yep, I agree. You need to find what kind of hardware fits it. Does it have interchangeable top and bottom pieces? Every rivet, snap, etc. will have its own size.

It looks huge, probably used to set grommets in tarps or sails.

that is a Rex Riveter. It is used to set tubular Rivets.

Hi... it's also pretty easy to adapt to other things if you know a machinist, and if I remember correctly, there are quite a number of dies that will fit that thing.

Kevin

Hi... it's also pretty easy to adapt to other things if you know a machinist, and if I remember correctly, there are quite a number of dies that will fit that thing.

Kevin

Really? I'd love a link or two! I have the same riveter and while it works I'd kill for some different dies.

Luke pretty much covered it.

What I find interesting is they are quite prevalent (see them on e-bay all the time) because they were evidently used in the auto brake (pad assembly?) business earlier in the last century.

I'm like you DPRB and have one "for awhile" but haven't set a single rivet with it yet!