Sign in to follow this  
particle

Re-Dye Something That's Already Been Finished

I have a customer that contacted me about redying his holster. It was airbrushed with Fiebing's Pro Oil Saddle Tan (or maybe Light Brown, can't remember) with Black airbrushed around the edges. It was sealed with a couple brushed-on coats of Satin Sheen, and may even have an airbrushed coat of Resolene on it. The customer inquired if I could dye it black.

Last night I took a prototype holster that was sitting on my shelf that was made about the same and finished in a similar manner, and I dunked it in a nasty batch of vinegaroon. As you can see in the attached photos, it penetrated in some places, but even after soaking for several minutes, I was having little luck. Even the areas that turned black still had a hint of brown to them.

While my little experiment didn't turn out as expected, I was very pleased with the way the finish was holding up against being dunked in the liquid!

So, what's the best method for re-dying my customer's project? Or will I be doing more harm than good?

post-6400-021613700 1299872254_thumb.jpg

post-6400-066661600 1299872262_thumb.jpg

post-6400-065422700 1299872276_thumb.jpg

I've had to do that once, and found that Hydrogen Peroxide helped take off the finish coat. That allowed me to soak in the black dye and get what I was looking for. I wiped on the HP with a skeepskin pad and waited a minute, then wiped it off with a damp sponge. You might give that a try with your "test" piece.

Dave

Thanks Dave - I'll give that a try!