DaltonMasterson

What Can I Do With A Landis 12?

I lucked (maybe not) into a Landis 12 from a local retired shoe shop. The lady had it in her shed with some other equipment, so its dirty, but does work. The leather belt on it slips a little, but other than that seemed to work fine.

I mainly build western style holsters, and I dont think this machine will do much for me. OR will it? I ran it when I brought it home a few years ago, and it has just sat in the garage since then. I am starting to reevaluate my sewing machine needs, and thinking that if I slim down the old machines I have, I might be able to come close to getting a newer (smaller) machine.

So, does this machine have any use to me? I mainly sew 9-10 oz leather (18-20oz total thickness).

Is there still a market for a machine like this if I would sell it? What would be a good price range to list it?

Thanks,

DM

You'd think as big as they are they'd be good for something other than shoes but,I hate to tell you they don't work to good on much else.I guess they don't make a real good consistant looking stitch.

As far as being worth something the higher the letter the better,like G is better than F ,K better than G, &K better than G,L better than K

Bob

Well the price was right either way, other than the major muscle pull that happened having to move it. It didnt look like it would serve holster duty very well.

I will do some cleanup and see about posting it for sale.

Thanks,

DM

There's probably a bootmaker somewhere looking for one.

Bob

I lucked (maybe not) into a Landis 12 from a local retired shoe shop. The lady had it in her shed with some other equipment, so its dirty, but does work. The leather belt on it slips a little, but other than that seemed to work fine.

I mainly build western style holsters, and I dont think this machine will do much for me. OR will it? I ran it when I brought it home a few years ago, and it has just sat in the garage since then. I am starting to reevaluate my sewing machine needs, and thinking that if I slim down the old machines I have, I might be able to come close to getting a newer (smaller) machine.

So, does this machine have any use to me? I mainly sew 9-10 oz leather (18-20oz total thickness).

Is there still a market for a machine like this if I would sell it? What would be a good price range to list it?

Thanks,

DM

DM,

There is a market for your machine; unfortunately it is a small one. These machines only do one thing well…SEW BOOT & SHOE SOLES!! Great if you are doing that LOL!!

I bought one from a boot shop and moved it (950lbs is what one dealer told me) it took 3 of us and a cart + a refrigerator hand cart to get it in the horse trailer!

A boot maker or new “wannabe” boot maker is a good group to list it for sale too. Check out boot and shoe websites…

http://customcowboybootsandshoesforum.com/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics

Also, list it here on LW with a photos and on “Leather Pro’s” website. There are boot makers on both forums.

Biggest problem you will have is someone will want it but lives to far to pick it up themselves, :surrender: consider getting a quote for crating and shipping from some freight companies so you have an idea of cost, that will be one of the first questions people will ask you.

If all of it is in working order the value should be $1200.00 to $1600.00 + shipping ????

Hope this helps,

Rick J.

post-6575-061107100 1302009198_thumb.jpg

Hi Dalton,

The Landis 12 used to be the staple of every shoe repair shop. There are (or were) 10s of thousands of them out there. There are used to sew the outsole to the welt on shoes. This is about the only thing they are good for. This is the case with most machines in the shoe industry. The 12 has no throat to speak of so really can't be modified to do "other" work. Of all the shoe machines, the American Straight Needle stitcher and the Line Finisher are the only items that could be used for "other" things.

The model 12 had a letter designation after it e.g. Landis 12 K. Anything before K is less desirable but still functional, the G being the one most appealing to users. The price is totally dependent on condition. I have seen (more often than you might realize) you can have it, and all of this stuff, if you move it kind of deals, to $3500 from Pilgrim. You must remember that these things were in many many shoe repair shops so you will be kind of restricted to your local area, because moving it can be pricey. So locally, $1000 to $2000 if in very good shape, to the right buyer. A used machinery seller might give you $100 or $200, he might already have a few of them. Custom bootmakers are the main buyers, but there aren't a lot of them who don't have one or two already. Really, there aren't a lot of custom bootmakers. Bespoke shoemakers hand stitch or peg.

Good luck with it.

Art

Thanks,

DM

I just bought a 12 G from a saddle maker for 200 buck and it sew's like brand new. He said it had sit in the same spot with the same canvas cover over it unused for 20 years. It really stitches nice. If it is still for sale I might be interested. Even thou I live in Idaho I have family in western and eastern Nebraska. I could use a trip back there. Have not been back there in 5 yrs. Scott

I just bought a 12 G from a saddle maker for 200 buck and it sew's like brand new. He said it had sit in the same spot with the same canvas cover over it unused for 20 years. It really stitches nice. If it is still for sale I might be interested. Even thou I live in Idaho I have family in western and eastern Nebraska. I could use a trip back there. Have not been back there in 5 yrs. Scott

Sending you a pm....

I just moved some stuff, and it is a Model F.

DM