Sign in to follow this  
OdinUK

Antique - What colour?

I'm slowly building up my supplies and would like to try applying Antique. There are several colours, Black, dark brown, mid brown, light brown, tan, mahogany, chocolate etc.

Which one would you recommend for general, non specific use? I would assume one of the browns. Thank you.

I have some tandy medium brown and it seems OK. Its really dark for a dye, I would not use it as an "all in one" dye/antique. Some guys I've heard like the black because it appears more classic, but I have not tried it. I'd like to try the Fiebings paste, but I can't justify buying more product right now.

Black and Mahogany are the two most versatile colors we've came to rely on. Learn to use the paste, you can control how much or how little you leave behind, you have more time to work it I think than the liquid stuff.

Thanks, I will porbably get the medium brown as a starting point. I'll look out for the paste but I havent noticed it when looking at the Antiques.

Springfield has the Fiebings antique paste, it doesn't seem to be available from Tandy. I'm going to pick up some black, and maybe the Burgundy (based on the recommendation above) to try.