rktaylor

Just Finished A Couple Of Breast Collars

I just finished a couple of breast collars. I use these to practice sewing, stamping, etc. in preparation for building another saddle.

The one is my first attempt at a pulling collar. I was made to match my first saddle. The top piece is saddle skirting and the back is latigo. All stainless steel hardware.

The other was made for a friend of mine who wanted me to 'put my OSU stamp' on his breast collar. I informed him that it wasn't a stamp. I used his as a pattern and used the basket weave to match his saddle. This baby is heavy (double thick saddle skirting). I am considering getting "Crafter's License" from OSU and selling these.

Comments are welcome.

Randy

post-46116-0-85074900-1398007171_thumb.j

post-46116-0-68787300-1398007320_thumb.j

Randy,

Your work is looking good. Are you taking your own measurements and making your patterns, or are you using an established pattern? I have a couple of comments. On the OSU collar, your cinch tie down would look better if you didn't taper in from the dee down to the strap so quickly. Make it more of a "Y" shape, this would make it easier to sew, and make it stronger over time. On your latigo backed collar, I suggest that you taper your dee attachment points more. Right now, off the horse, it looks like it should fit; however, depending on where your collar dees on your saddle are located, your collar may pitch up at the front dee when put on the horse, and not lay flat on the chest. The closer the dees are on the saddle; example, dees located on the front rosettes, or attaching the billets around the fork and through the handhole, cause the collar to bind at the collar dee.

Looking forward to see your next saddle.

Ron

Ron and Bob,

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement.

I used another breast collar to make a pattern for the OSU collar. I did change the cinch tie down piece on this collar. I have been making them shaped more like the pulling collar, but thought I would experiment with something different. I will take your suggestion and try a little more taper. I made the pattern for the pulling collar by checking it on one of our mares. She may not have been the best choice (kind of thin in the neck area). If I understand correctly, you think it curves too much where it connects to the center dee. I plan to connect it through the handhole, but have not ridden with it. I will wait until it sees some use before I make another like it.

I am looking forward to seeing my next saddle too. :)

Randy

Ron,

You are correct. The pulling collar does not lay flat on the chest. I will modify my pattern with more taper.

Randy