shortwinger

Another Newbie From Virginia

Hi everyone,

I have been making falconry equipment out of kangaroo and buffalo leather for many years but recently got into making knife sheaths for some Nepalese knives I import. So far I have been hand stiching but it is quickly getting impossible to keep up so I have been shopping around for a machine.

I have been looking into a sewing machine for a while and noticed that this group argues over machines like falconers argue over training methods and dog trainers argue of techniques and so on and so on. So I will skip the "what machine/company is best" in my introduction post and just say hi!

I mostly make sheaths for small/medium sized fixed blade knives with 6-7 oz leather and larger Bowie and kukri sheaths with 8-9 oz stock. The pic below shows two of the more popular knives and sheaths.

post-21683-030107500 1305135242_thumb.jp

Bill

Virginia

Nice knifes you show here. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the site Bill. Looks like you do some nice sheath work. And I have to say, super cool that you have a Falcon!! But aren't they too small to be carry knife sheaths??

Looking forward to more pics of your work. ~Rex

Thanks guys,

The bird on my fist is a 9 lb male Golden eagle so I might be able to let him carry a small folder, but the hawks and falcons are much smaller and can't handle the extra weight so no blades for them!

My sheaths are pretty basic "user" types. I sell mosty to local hunters, farmers, campers and some of the bigger Tracker knives and kukris to the 4 wheeler guys. I don't usually do much tooling unless someone wants it. I hand stitch everything and can't keep up even with basic sheaths. But when my new machine (Cobra) gets here and I get up to speed with it, I will have more time per sheath to make them look a bit nicer. I'm practicing my backet weave now.

Hello bird man....

Falcons, how cool.....when I was young and still had most of my

golden locks..(hair) I went to many old German castels and ruins of such.....there always where falcon keepers and they showed of there birds of pray....fascinating to say the least!

Glad u found us.....keep coming back and check out the

Sewing machine forum.....big time good info there!!!!

Greetings

James

Hello bird man....

Falcons, how cool.....when I was young and still had most of my

golden locks..(hair) I went to many old German castels and ruins of such.....there always where falcon keepers and they showed of there birds of pray....fascinating to say the least!

Glad u found us.....keep coming back and check out the

Sewing machine forum.....big time good info there!!!!

Greetings

James

Welcome to the site

I am a knife and sheath maker in Virginia. Chesapeake to be exact

Hit me up and you can check out my machine sometime

Brian

James,

Not often do you see interests like: "leather, metal, wood.... art. painting furniture, motorcycles, pinstriping, tattoo's, Mastiffs, Morse Code!" Where in SW Va are you? What kind of bikes are you into?

Bill

Dublin, VA

I make fixed blades and folders.

I also do some handle and finish work for a few other companies.

Hey Bill....

Greetings from Gate City in SW Virginia.....close to Kingsport TN.

Yeahhh....to many hobbies, I know....jwaha...but I love to occupy my mind and I am interested in so many things....

Hope we see more pictures of ur birds and ur fine leather work!!

Send me a PM....I will look up where Dublin is..

Greetings

James