esantoro

How do you boot windows xp to c: prompt

Does anyone know how to boot windows XP to a c: prompt? I need to remove a virus dll but have to access it before windows xp kicks in.

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed,

F8 during boot for safeboot mode.

Read for more info:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Art

Does anyone know how to boot windows XP to a c: prompt? I need to remove a virus dll but have to access it before windows xp kicks in.

Thanks,

Ed

If memory serves me correctly, follow these steps:

:taptap:

1. Reboot PC

2. When it restarts, hit F8 to enter boot menu...

3. Choose "Safe mode with Command Prompt" ...

4. You should be at c: ... if you see anything after c: (i.e. - C:/windows/whatever) simply type cd.. (yes, cd (dot dot)) and it will back you up until you get to the c: prompt...

I would try this routine before you actually start deleting .dll files... and ALWAYS make a backup of your registry before you start modifying anything...

If you do not, it could be catastrophic andyou lose everything...

If you feel uncomfortable doing this proceedure or question my knowledge of the matter, please feel free to consult others... Can't ever get too much info...

Good luck with your task...

If that doesn't work... :smashcomp:

Edited by TroyS

Thanks for the help. Booting into safe mode didn't work, as the malicious dlls were still being registered by Windows XP start up. What did work was using the XP installation and following the path for repairing an installation, which took me to a low resource c: prompt, where I was able to delete or rename any file necessary.

Ed

Thanks for the help. Booting into safe mode didn't work, as the malicious dlls were still being registered by Windows XP start up. What did work was using the XP installation and following the path for repairing an installation, which took me to a low resource c: prompt, where I was able to delete or rename any file necessary.

Ed

Ed... you shouldn't be going to those racy websites!!!

:eusa_naughty::eusa_naughty::eusa_naughty: