Sign in to follow this  
snowgoose

Starting To Stitch

Ok, so I'd like to try my hand at stitching some leather.

I've been looking online and such and think I'd like to try a simple knife sheath to start.

Now, just wondering if these tools are worth the money or whether anything else can be used instead ?

1) Sewing Awl ( the one with the bobbin built in and pushes the thread though for overlocking ( I think )

2 ) Stitching Pony ( they seem pretty pricey for what they are, and as I'm only starting, is one really needed? )

3) Stitch spacing wheel ( the little wheel you roll along the leather to get even spaces between stitches )

4) Stitching groover.

Now, as I said, I'm only starting out with sewing, but I'd like to end up with half professional"ish" looking end products.

Can anyone advise on the above please?

Sewing all: This tool is pretty much worthless. You will have far superior quality if you use two needles.

Stitching pony: You can start without one. It can be easier to use one but most people do without. I have one and rarely use it.

Spacer wheel: You either need this tool of something to set your distance. A fork works well, you likely already have one of those. You can also use a divider.

Stitching grover: I rarely use one. I like the stitches sitting on the top, I feel it looks better.

Aaron

Thanks for the reply Aaron.

I saw a video of the stitching awl in work and it looks much easier than other methods. With two needles, would I just work in the same way? ( i.e. stab through front side and create a loop at the back and thread the second thread through the loop, pulling the needle back out after, and continue this way?

With two needles you push all the way through with one needle, then the other needle back through the same hole, move forward. You are basicly making an S with eash needle, just gong the oposite way. With the sewing all thing is is almost impossible to get nice looking stitches. You do need to premake your holes, either with a punch, awl (best way, and hardest) or drilling them in.

Aaron

If you're going to be shopping at a Tandy (or Springfield Leather) you should pick up a copy of "The Art of Hand Sewing" by Al Stohlman. I think it's also available as a download from Tandy's e-book section.

The type of hand sewing Aaron described is also called "saddle stitching" and produces a superior stitch because even if one thread breaks, the other still holds the leather in place.

I use waxed linen when I hand stitch, purchased at Hobby Lobby (brand: 'On-a-string')

For your awl, you'll want a diamond awl....which refers to the cross sectional shape of the blade. For starting out, I recommend the Osborne model sold at Tandy...preferably you can look at them and pick the best available. Either way, plan on sharpening and stropping it to polish the blade. We have topics on this site covering the proper sharpening, care, and maintenance of a multitude of tools.

"Stitching grover: I rarely use one. I like the stitches sitting on the top, I feel it looks better."

A stich groover is used to set the thread flush with or slightly below the suface of the leather, so that the thread will not get worn out as quickly.......

There are some useful tutorials at http://www.bowstock.co.uk/tutorials.html. They will give you a good idea of the tools and methods used in hand stitching.

With two needles you push all the way through with one needle, then the other needle back through the same hole, move forward. You are basicly making an S with eash needle, just gong the oposite way. With the sewing all thing is is almost impossible to get nice looking stitches. You do need to premake your holes, either with a punch, awl (best way, and hardest) or drilling them in.

Aaron

Saddle stiching is good, but anybody with a bit of practice can do a good job with an awl that has the bobbin in it.

As with any tool you just need to know how to use it.

Drilling holes to stitch in will NEVER give you a good stitch by removeing leather in the hole the leather will never settle back in around the thread so if the thread ever broke at one stitch it will all come undone very quickly.

Drilling holes is more laceing than sewing.

Putting a sewing machine needle or awl blade in a small drill press and NOT running it you can do a good job making the holes to sew in.

They are nice and straight down just put a thick piece of scrap leather underneath or a piece of wood with a small hole for the needle to go through.

Edited by catskin

All you really need is a GOOD awl. 40# fishing line is a great thread lead. See lots of threads here on threading and using. No need to buy a needle.

The fork idea for stitch length is RIGHT ON, just get a fork with tines of 6/7 per inch and use 7 cord or equivalant.

Your home free. Bees wax make the awl work best.

I used all the above before buying a stitch machine, still should have stuck to hand sewing.

Kevin