Sign in to follow this  
Spinner

New Granite Slab

Thanks to Jim who posted a week or so ago about granite slabs in So. Cal for those that wanted to pick them up I have a nice new one that will reside on the new workbench I'm building for my new work area this month.

Once mounted and framed it will be 27" x 47" x 1" thick of tooling area goodness!

granite_slab.jpg

Wow, you won't have to move anything around to get a big piece over the stone, will you? Will you set it flush with the top, or have it on top of a base?

The bench will be flush top, although at this size the granite will be the top so there won't be much to flush against it. I'm going to try and clean up the edge some so that I can flush it with the countertop that will be next to it giving me 6 feet of flat surface...hopefully that works out as planned. ;)

That's going to be a great workbench.

By the way, I showed a coworker your mini-solo bag, and he thought it was fantastic. He's wondering if you'd consider producing more and how much it would set him back?

... I'm going to try and clean up the edge some.... ;)

A $50 bill will convince many stone shops to run they on their saw. All 4 sides can be squared in about 30 minutes. The edge will not be polished, but will be square.

There are now a lot of bottomfeeders in the stone countertop industry. I looked at a Chinese import Granite slab yesterday, 8' long, polished on the top and two sides for $79. The slab you have is thicker (much better) but it is hard to beat the prices that are showing up.

Aaron

That's going to be a great workbench.

By the way, I showed a coworker your mini-solo bag, and he thought it was fantastic. He's wondering if you'd consider producing more and how much it would set him back?

Hey Winterbear, I sell them for $80 (about half the price of a full size solo bag since they are half the size) plus shipping. The bracket is only guaranteed to fit the Honda Aero and Spirit 750 models though as the foot pegs can be different on various bikes.

What I can do though is to punch the holes for a bracket if he has a different bike and then he can make or get a bracket for his bike and then use chicago screws to secure the bag to bracket.

A $50 bill will convince many stone shops to run they on their saw. All 4 sides can be squared in about 30 minutes. The edge will not be polished, but will be square.

There are now a lot of bottomfeeders in the stone countertop industry. I looked at a Chinese import Granite slab yesterday, 8' long, polished on the top and two sides for $79. The slab you have is thicker (much better) but it is hard to beat the prices that are showing up.

Aaron

Hey Aaron, thanks for that info. I tried two shops already and they didn't want to do it. I have cut granite before with my die grinder but this is a bit thicker and a longer line than that so I'm not sure I'm in the mood just yet to try. ;)

Chris

I have cut granite before with my die grinder but this is a bit thicker and a longer line than that so I'm not sure I'm in the mood just yet to try. ;)

Chris

You can cut it with a diamond blade in a circular saw. I've done it running a small stream of water to keep the blade cool. Be sure you're on a GFCI circuit. Or you could rent a concrete wet saw for floors and cut it laying down. They usually are less than $50 per day to rent.

Edited by evandailey

I was a building contractor most of my life and so I had/have access to stone companies here at home. At one time I made dipped chocolates as a hobby. Went to my stone shop and rummaged in the waste pile finding a quite large piece of marble about 2" thick to work the candy. Recently our last child left home to buy her own home leaving one large bedroom my wife informed me I could use for my leather shop. Astounding would not do this statement justice but I certainly complied and have been putting together my leather shop.

Same old stone shop doesn't have a trash pile anymore but I got a black granite piece 1 1/4" thick measuring 28" x 19". It is square, I promptly went to the wood shop and built a bench from some 2" pine I had. The bench is 31" deep x 78" long. Top is 3/4" particle board with melamine. I cut a hole in the middle of the top about 4" back from front edge and slid the granite onto a 2" pine framework I made underneath. I had some 4" thick timber left from our home that I drilled various sized holes to accommodate stamps and punches. Mounted this on about a 30 degree angle so I can see all the stamps and other tools. Bolted to the back of the bench is another sheet of 3/4 particle board with melamine. The back rises 21" above the tool blocks, I will have leather holding different tools on this. I hung an 8' "high intensity" flourescent fixture just slightly to the back of the work bench 3' above the bench.

Also built a table on top of an old Computer table measuring 6' x 3', 3/4" thick again. I use this for layout and cutting, My work area is set in a triangle so that I can move 6 feet in any direction to another workstation including my sewing machine. We had an old swivel stool in the wood shop we don't use anymore. I cut 5" off the legs and re-upholstered seat and back for working at my carving bench. I have a discarded kitchen chair with a padded seat and back at the sewing machine, Cutting table is stand up, don't like to cut sitting down. There is a large window opposite the sewing machine but I have two lights at the machine also.

I will post some pics when I get more of it finished.

ferg

Hey Winterbear, I sell them for $80 (about half the price of a full size solo bag since they are half the size) plus shipping. The bracket is only guaranteed to fit the Honda Aero and Spirit 750 models though as the foot pegs can be different on various bikes.

What I can do though is to punch the holes for a bracket if he has a different bike and then he can make or get a bracket for his bike and then use chicago screws to secure the bag to bracket.

Hey Aaron, thanks for that info. I tried two shops already and they didn't want to do it. I have cut granite before with my die grinder but this is a bit thicker and a longer line than that so I'm not sure I'm in the mood just yet to try. ;)

Chris

Thanks to Jim who posted a week or so ago about granite slabs in So. Cal for those that wanted to pick them up I have a nice new one that will reside on the new workbench I'm building for my new work area this month.

Once mounted and framed it will be 27" x 47" x 1" thick of tooling area goodness!

granite_slab.jpg

I glad it worked out for you. Send me a photo of the finished bench when you get it done.

Jim