RWB

Flower Stamped Tapaderos

Hi,

Anyone is more than welcome to give this a critique, but I would be very appreciative Bob if you could help me me out. My stem work is always this clubby looking. I just can't seem to figure out how to make the stems have more symmetry an flow. Are my circles to big and to far apart? I used the same size of circle for both the large flower and the two small flowers together, but I think that the small flowers were just to small for that size of circle. But even with the big flowers my stem work just looks clubby I guess, thats the only way I can describe it. Like I said ANY critcism is more than welcome, you can't hurt my feelers.

Thanks,

Ross Brunk

Tapadero Reduced.JPG

Tapadero2  Reduced.JPG

post-10126-126002129052_thumb.jpg

post-10126-1260021541_thumb.jpg

Ross, I don't think I like them that much, they look to much like a big red X :rofl::rofl::rofl: LOL

just kidding your photos did not show, at least on my computer.

Steve

edit; ross after looking around the forum this AM I see all the pics are gone. Look forward to seeing your taps not red X when the site gets fixed.

Edited by steve mason

Click on the box, they'll show up. They look good to me, but I'm not a Sheridan carver.

Edited by Timd

Hi,

Anyone is more than welcome to give this a critique, but I would be very appreciative Bob if you could help me me out. My stem work is always this clubby looking. I just can't seem to figure out how to make the stems have more symmetry an flow. Are my circles to big and to far apart? I used the same size of circle for both the large flower and the two small flowers together, but I think that the small flowers were just to small for that size of circle. But even with the big flowers my stem work just looks clubby I guess, thats the only way I can describe it. Like I said ANY critcism is more than welcome, you can't hurt my feelers.

Thanks,

Ross Brunk

Ross, first off, I would not say that you are not a "Sheridan Carver", your work seems to meet the idea of design as I understand it, it flows and is very pleasing to look at. Next, if I understand your use of chubby, I think (only my guess here), that you mean your vines are too thick or seem to be "bushy". Only a suggestion here but; if you break down your pattern into segments, and attack each segment individually, you may find that as your vine goes around the flower segment, you might want to remove 2 or 3 of the leafs per segment and allow for a little more backgrounding to show through. Mind you this is only a suggestion to the question you asked, not a critisizm. Your work is, well, the way JW put it in Rooster Cogburn, " being around it pleases me!" Hope that my ideas help.

Love Your Work!

Bondo Bob

Hi Ross-

Beautiful work! I am not a Sheridan carver and it took me a minute to see what you didn't like. Could your thumbprint be too large or too long? The clubby look could be coming from the thumbprint being straight and interupting the flow of the stem? Can you try using a lined pear shader and walking it instead of a thumbprint? Or tipping the thumbprint and walking it? Like I said, I'm not a Sheridan carver. I am sure you will get better advice- just wanted to add some thoughts.

Crystal

I found my new desktop photograph. I am Hidepounder, but damn they look to ole' novice me. Great work. I like the color and burnish.

Thanks for sharing!

Happy Holidays

Hi Ross..

I think you did an excellent job on these! I'm not going to comment on tooling because I can't see the fine detail well enough....but I can see it well enough to think you are not having any mechanical difficulties. My only comment on the overall design is that I would try avoid allowing the vinework to completely exit the pattern as it dows on the large flower on top. In that instance you want to shrink the circle so that the vinework continues within the pattern. On the positive side you achieved excellent flow and even though the vinework on that one flower disappears the flow still comes through. I really like that you used different size flowers and grouped the smaller flowers into a single circle which adds variety and interest. Additionally you weren't afraid to let major elements overlap which helps to create the illusion of depth.

I agree that your petals have a little bit of a "clubby" look, but I don't think that is bad, rather a matter of style. It reminds me of some of the old designs that came out of the SW and Texas years and years ago. I prefer the thinner more elongated petals that everyone refers to as Sheridan because I think they are more delicate looking. You can easily do that with this design by just drawing them longer and thinner with more background between them which is what Bob was saying. I try to keep some kind of consistant relationship or ratio between the size of the petal and the size of the background area between the petals and hold that ratio throughout the pattern. For instance I might make my background 1/2 or 2/3 the size (width) of the petal. What ever you settle on, try to be consistant throughout the pattern. If you'll notice you have some small petals and some very large petals. You will always have some variance, which is fine, but try to keep the size reasonably consistant. Sometimes you have an area to fill which is just too big for petals and that is where you might add a leaf or acanthus leaf to fill the space.

When designing the size of your petals, keep in mind the size of your tools. Don't draw something that is too big or too small for the shader or thumbprint you have to use. It is important to make you pattern fit your tools or make tools to fit the pattern.

Determining the size of the circle and the size flower to use within the circle will come with practice. Keep experimenting with size until there is enough space to add in the vinework with type petals you decide to use. Remember....there are no rules or right/wrong....just what is pleasing to you.

Great job on this Ross!

Hope this helps...

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

Ross, I don't think I like them that much, they look to much like a big red X :rofl::rofl::rofl: LOL

just kidding your photos did not show, at least on my computer.

Steve

edit; ross after looking around the forum this AM I see all the pics are gone. Look forward to seeing your taps not red X when the site gets fixed.

Hey Steve,

That big red X is my stamping, what are you laughing at?! I try and I try, sheesh. No, just kidding. I would love to hear what you think about them when you take a look. I'll post a pic after I tie a stirrup in them. Thanks

Ross

I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for their advice. I look forward to trying it out on the next pair. I've got a Full flower saddle coming up that I will get alot of practice in on, and we will see how it goes. Again I appreciate everything. Anything thing else would be more than readily accepted. Ross

Here is one that is Laced down the nose, and has a finish on it. I have yet to decide if I should tie stirrups in them or just stamp another pair that I like better.

Ross

Tap Laced.JPG

Tap Laced2.JPG

post-10126-126014158261_thumb.jpg

post-10126-126014161708_thumb.jpg

Here is one that is Laced down the nose, and has a finish on it. I have yet to decide if I should tie stirrups in them or just stamp another pair that I like better.

Ross

I know that you arent happy with them but I sure like em. I think that your style is just that, Your style. I sure like your style. I strive to tool as well as half of you guys on here.

Ross

Ross,

Way to nice of work to discard and start over! I have made many saddles that I was not satisfied with. Best way to improve is much experience. Training and education is valuable, but experience is priceless! Many leatherworkers will work a lifetime and never get this good. Be happy with what your skill level is now and constantly refine your work. You will develop a personal style in time that you are pleased with. This is very nice work and you should not be disappointed with it.

I will write more critique later when I have a bit more time. In the meantime, be encouraged.

Keith

Ross, these are to nice to junk, you did a good job. I think every peice a guy does you should feel that they need improvment. A favorite line that I was told years ago from a saddle maker that i repect was "if I ever feel like I have made the perfect saddle, I should quit because I am either a fool or a lier" IMO you should always see the need for improvement with every thing you make.

You did some nice work with you design and style of your carving. I think it sure has a sheridan look to it, to make it a little more sheridan style you could refine the stickers a little. But, if you like the stickers a little larger then go for it cause that is your style, I see nothing wrong with it overall nice work.

Did you design the tap pattern yourself or did you get it from someone? It is a little diferent tap pattern then I am used to seeing, not sure if I have a picture of some bulldogs that I have made, if I do I'll post a pair to show the differance.

Steve

Ross, these are to nice to junk, you did a good job. I think every peice a guy does you should feel that they need improvment. A favorite line that I was told years ago from a saddle maker that i repect was "if I ever feel like I have made the perfect saddle, I should quit because I am either a fool or a lier" IMO you should always see the need for improvement with every thing you make.

You did some nice work with you design and style of your carving. I think it sure has a sheridan look to it, to make it a little more sheridan style you could refine the stickers a little. But, if you like the stickers a little larger then go for it cause that is your style, I see nothing wrong with it overall nice work.

Did you design the tap pattern yourself or did you get it from someone? It is a little diferent tap pattern then I am used to seeing, not sure if I have a picture of some bulldogs that I have made, if I do I'll post a pair to show the differance.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I appreciate the compliment. I guess I've just looked at them for to long to like them. That is my pattern. The pictures make it look a little funny. When you tie them down to the stirrups they look better. I run strings thu two rosettes in the front of them and suck them down to the stirrup so that they aren't so flat faced. They have more of a snout when it is all said and done. Here is a rough-out pair that are the same pattern.

Keith, I would be very appreciative of an critique that you can give me.

Ross Brunk

www.nrcowboygear.com

Tap.JPG

post-10126-126031992468_thumb.jpg

Edited by RWB

Ross

If you do decide the discard them taps... discard them my way.

You did a real nice job on the tooling and the finished product is great also. I agree with all the guys out there who say Great job , keep up the good work.

Thanks for posting the pics

Happy tooling

Tim

If you don't like them for yourself... don't they have a high enough quality to be sold or given away? They look real good to me!

Maybe find somewhere you can donate them for the tax writeoff and let them auction them off if nothing else... a handicapped riding program or something.