bruce johnson

Proleptic.net (aka ShopTalk!) tool sale

I have been checking every so often and the annual Proleptic.net tool sale is up and going. Here's the link - Proleptic tool sale link. There are 1475 items. Some are pretty tedious to look through, but there are some pretty neat ones too. A few creasers, some splitters, and some draw gauges are pretty cool. Take a peek at what $1000 can buy you in the way of a draw gauge. Nice old handtools, and some of the classic old names look to be some bargains. If you spend a couple hours, don't say you weren't warned. If you spend a couple hundred bucks, you are on your own.

Thanks, thats a cool sale, had to call it quits at $70. If I had the money could of spent alot more.

Thank you Bruce!

I picked up the Dixon Plough guage. Can't wait to break it in.

thanks Bruce,

couldn't sleep this morning so instead I filled out my bag punch collection and a bunch of loop irons that are nicely priced... also couldn't resist the pricking iron. One thing I did notice after I checked out that concerned me a little is I went back over the list and noticed that the items I had just paid for were still available to be added to a shopping cart. Not sure if that changes were I to try and checkout a second time with them... guess I'll have to wait and see.

Darc

Darcy,

I tried to buy a "third hand" a few years ago on one of his sales. I did the whole checkout thing and it went through. My card was never charged and after a couple weeks with not receiving it, I called. The item had been sold previously, but their software at the time didn't remove the item or mark it sold. They said then they were looking at software that would do that. Maybe not. I would give a phone call to verify that you got them.

Hi Bruce,

thanks for that information. I took your advice and tried calling them... the gal I spoke to said that she is in the process of going through the orders they've received and deleting the items from their website. It sounds like things haven't really changed as far as their software is concerned and there is still a chance of ordering items that have been sold. Presumably, the tools will go to whoever orders them first and since the sale just when online in the last day, I'm guessing our best chance of avoiding buying sold tools is to order sooner than later.

Darc

Hi Bruce,

thanks for that information. I took your advice and tried calling them... the gal I spoke to said that she is in the process of going through the orders they've received and deleting the items from their website. It sounds like things haven't really changed as far as their software is concerned and there is still a chance of ordering items that have been sold. Presumably, the tools will go to whoever orders them first and since the sale just when online in the last day, I'm guessing our best chance of avoiding buying sold tools is to order sooner than later.

Darc

I jsut tried to order a round knife and as soon as I placed the order got an email saying that there was an error and the Item had been previously sold.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

I jsut tried to order a round knife and as soon as I placed the order got an email saying that there was an error and the Item had been previously sold.

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

tim; I ordered tools of the sale yesterday, right after it wa on the site, I bought 2 round knifes and some other tools, I called this AM and the knife were already sold. to bad for me. Seems like it is a first come first serve type deal.

steve

Well, some of the prices are on the wacko side (like some of the books) and others are reasonable. The draw gauge is pretty rare but only a collector would bite. You could easily fill in some of the blank spaces in the tool crib and not hurt yourself too bad. Condition can be important and anything less than VG, VGC, or EC might be less than expected. I have found that Good is usually less than that.

I always wonder of their shopping cart and inventory system is up to the task.

Art

I have been checking every so often and the annual Proleptic.net tool sale is up and going. Here's the link - Proleptic tool sale link. There are 1475 items. Some are pretty tedious to look through, but there are some pretty neat ones too. A few creasers, some splitters, and some draw gauges are pretty cool. Take a peek at what $1000 can buy you in the way of a draw gauge. Nice old handtools, and some of the classic old names look to be some bargains. If you spend a couple hours, don't say you weren't warned. If you spend a couple hundred bucks, you are on your own.

Dang it Bruce you just had to post this link didnt ya now my keyboard dont work cuz of all the drool and the fact that all i can do is drool and not buy lol

great link

Cowboy316

looks like four of the five bag punches I wanted were previously sold but the loops irons are still a good deal and some of them are available in different thicknesses.

Darcy

looks like four of the five bag punches I wanted were previously sold but the loops irons are still a good deal and some of them are available in different thicknesses.

Darcy

Dumb question from TK but what are the Loop Irons used for? I am sure that you will give me an answer and I will go oh that would make my life so much easier.

Thanks

TK-Leather

Dumb question from TK but what are the Loop Irons used for? I am sure that you will give me an answer and I will go oh that would make my life so much easier.

Thanks

TK-Leather

They are used for forming the leather into loop keepers on belts, billets, straps ect.

Another way that metal loop irons are used is for fixed loops. One way to put them in is to sew down one side of the strap with the loop open. The other end of the loop is then sandwiched between the lining and top of the bridle parts. The loop iron is put into the loop and can be like an anvil. You can staple or clinch against it.

THought all should know wwwproleptic.net launched another MASSIVE tool sale on their web site. 98 pages of dreamy tool marked down and ready to ship to your workshop. I blew 500 on tools to use on harness making as well bought a lot of extra tools to teach students. They repaint and sharpen the tools. older CSO and newer GOMPH and MORE!!!

These folks are great and will ship with USPS.

Just thought you all should know!!

Thanks for the heads up. Cost me $370 though. Lots of neat stuff.