SimonJester753

I'm Looking For A Supplier

I've used Tandy for most of my tools and leather and finishing products.

The one thing I've always found annoying is their shipping and handling charges and having to pay tax. I know, tax is not something they have control of, but when I deal with a company that's not in my state I don't have to pay tax. They have a store somewhere in NY so even though my stuff comes from CT, I have to pay tax.

The shipping is what really gets me. I deal with plenty of places where shipping is free. I know nothing is "free," but their prices are good even if they build the shipping cost into the item price. It bothers me to see $14 in shipping added to a $58 order and then another $5 in tax.

So I'm looking for someplace that sells leather tools and supplies that has reasonable, or free, shipping and won't charge me tax.

Springfield Leather and they honor the Tandy discount cards.

Jon

You are not going to find free shipping at too many places. Leather simply has some weight to it, so they have to charge shipping. The $10 - $12 amount is typical. The only company I know of off hand that does free shipping is waterhouseleather.com. They do not sell tools, finishing products, anything like that. They sell leather.

As for avoiding tax, try Springfield Leather Co. Very good people to work with. They were a Tandy store that was bought out by the manager.

Just to offer some advice, this is why people don't make $40 - $50 orders. I save up a couple of projects until I have a $100 order. When you're doing that, the $10 shipping doesn't hurt as much. If nothing else, leatherwork teaches you how to plan.

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/

Art

So I'm looking for someplace that sells leather tools and supplies that has reasonable, or free, shipping and won't charge me tax.

You are not going to find free shipping at too many places. Leather simply has some weight to it, so they have to charge shipping. The $10 - $12 amount is typical. The only company I know of off hand that does free shipping is waterhouseleather.com. They do not sell tools, finishing products, anything like that. They sell leather.

As for avoiding tax, try Springfield Leather Co. Very good people to work with. They were a Tandy store that was bought out by the manager.

Just to offer some advice, this is why people don't make $40 - $50 orders. I save up a couple of projects until I have a $100 order. When you're doing that, the $10 shipping doesn't hurt as much. If nothing else, leatherwork teaches you how to plan.

What I'm ordering isn't that heavy. A few tools and a small bottle of dye. It could all go in a flat rate USPS box.

I'll have to check out Springfeild. I forgot about Brettuns Village Leather.

I recommend Bruce at http://www.stecksstore.com His listed prices are typically the Tandy "gold member" price or a little less and I often get things shipped for $3.66 He carries most of what Tandy does... and his service is great... AND he takes paypal.

I recommend Bruce at http://www.stecksstore.com His listed prices are typically the Tandy "gold member" price or a little less and I often get things shipped for $3.66 He carries most of what Tandy does... and his service is great... AND he takes paypal.

I think I'll give them a try. Thanks!

What I'm ordering isn't that heavy. A few tools and a small bottle of dye. It could all go in a flat rate USPS box.

I'll have to check out Springfeild. I forgot about Brettuns Village Leather.

When you order from Springfield, call in the order instead of using the internet. Their website is good, but it uses the same shipping calculator that most other websites do. When I call in, I get charged actual shipping versus an estimate and it comes out cheaper. I imagine it's the same with most web vs. call orders anywhere.

When you order from Springfield, call in the order instead of using the internet. Their website is good, but it uses the same shipping calculator that most other websites do. When I call in, I get charged actual shipping versus an estimate and it comes out cheaper. I imagine it's the same with most web vs. call orders anywhere.

Good to know. Back in the infancy of ordering through websites I was into bicycling and ordered stuff through catalogs. If you called, the order went right in and you got it fast. If you ordered online, or faxed it in, it could sit for a few days, till they got to it.

I'll second Stecksstore for the one or two small items. I usually buy through their ebay store because I get items pretty quick that way (emergency stuff that I failed to plan for).

Springfield charges the shipping estimate when purchased online, but they offer an in house credit on your next purchase for the difference. But, it has to be used by email or phone. Just something to keep in mind if you find yourself ordering outside of business hours.

I'll second Stecksstore for the one or two small items. I usually buy through their ebay store because I get items pretty quick that way (emergency stuff that I failed to plan for).

Cyber.... make sure you compare prices between the stecks ebay store and the .com store. Sometimes the Ebay store is more expensive. AND if you sign up to stecksstore.com you get a 10% discount... I've been buying from him since December. I've been getting a 10% discount ever since I started buying from his site.

Yeah, I only just found out about the .com store the other day when my wing dividers showed up and had the card in the package.

Cyber.... make sure you compare prices between the stecks ebay store and the .com store. Sometimes the Ebay store is more expensive. AND if you sign up to stecksstore.com you get a 10% discount... I've been buying from him since December. I've been getting a 10% discount ever since I started buying from his site.

I just tried Steck. Great prices, no tax and FREE shipping if I used "standard" shipping, which I did.

I just tried Steck. Great prices, no tax and FREE shipping if I used "standard" shipping, which I did.

Bruce is awesome. I've used him a lot. Was your "free shipping" on his store site or on Ebay?

Bruce is awesome. I've used him a lot. Was your "free shipping" on his store site or on Ebay?

I ordered from the website, not Ebay.

You enter your zip code and click on a button and it shows you the shipping charges, and standard shipping came up $0.00.

I ordered from the website, not Ebay.

You enter your zip code and click on a button and it shows you the shipping charges, and standard shipping came up $0.00.

Yes, I see it now... if you order 50.01 or more you get free standard shipping. I guess I never ordered that much from him. :D

The one thing I've always found annoying is their shipping and handling charges and having to pay tax. I know, tax is not something they have control of, but when I deal with a company that's not in my state I don't have to pay tax. They have a store somewhere in NY so even though my stuff comes from CT, I have to pay tax.

The shipping is what really gets me. I deal with plenty of places where shipping is free. I know nothing is "free," but their prices are good even if they build the shipping cost into the item price. It bothers me to see $14 in shipping added to a $58 order and then another $5 in tax.

I don't like to brag :rolleyes:, but we've got some pretty cool leathercraft tools and supplies as well as free shipping on all of our items. As for tax, well, we're outside of the US so state tax shouldn't be a problem and we do our best to help with import duty. We supply products from the three big Japanese leathercraft tool and chemical suppliers (Kyoshin Elle, Seiwa and Craft Sha), as well the vast majority of our products are made in Japan so you can be assured of the quality and environmental soundness of our products. Please find links below:

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

Simon

--------

Visit our website today!

http://www.goodsjapan.jp

Please 'like' us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/GoodsJapan

Find instructions & how-to videos at our YouTube page!

http://www.youtube.com/goodsjapanjp

Get notified of new listings on Twitter

http://twitter.com/goodsjapan