Sign in to follow this  
Abram

Sewing An Avenger Style Holster

I have a basic question, I started my first Avenger holster and while attempting to sew it I realize it was going to be difficult due to the design. How do you guys that use hand stitching mount the holster in the stitching horse?

Thank you

Edited by Abram

my stitching horse is still in the "not completely done " state right now so i just hand sew my items while holding it in my hands.

Just clamp below where you're going to sew. When you get to the clamp, adjust/move the piece,or flip it. If you flip it, be sure to reverse your stitching so the sewing remains constant in relation to the leather.

I have a basic question, I started my first Avenger holster and while attempting to sew it I realize it was going to be difficult due to the design. How do you guys that use hand stitching mount the holster in the stitching horse?

Thank you

FWIW from the old grump; I only use a stitching pony when stitching long straight things like belts, with an avenger style rig I just flop it around as needed, as I do all my holsters. I generally punch a number of holes, then stitch, then punch more holes --- repeat as necessary. Mike

I have thought about just holding it in my hand and doing the stitching and I may practice doing it that way. Last night I tried putting the holster in with the bend facing up so that I could get to the inside stitch line, worked okay but was difficult to see my marks.

Thanks again folks.

I don't use a stitching horse, either. I do my stitching while sitting in my recliner, kind of halfway watching TV. Poke three, stitch three, lather, rinse, repeat. There's a lot of fumbling around, and wasted motion. Al Stohlman would be appalled, no doubt, but it works for me.

The key to the Avenger style is to stitch the reinforcement piece on first. Probably an obvious point, but there it is....