Sign in to follow this  
Onsite Tack

Juki DN-1541 sewing thickness

I mostly do hand stitching when working with leather. I do use a machine when repairing horse blankets or other fabric pieces. I have a Juki DN-1541 for this purpose. My problem is: today, I was repairing a horse blanket where a strap had pulled free from the insertion site. This site was reinforced on both sides with leather and the leather was falling apart. I used some saddle skirting scraps on hand to make new replacements. I did skive off several ounces of leather, but the replacements are still thick. I used a needle for leatherwork and stitched away. Did fine until almost finished and the needle broke off.

Now, after removing a jammed piece of the broken needle, my husband thinks the leather is too thick for this machine. I disagree.

So, I come to the experts for advice. Is saddle skirting too thick for this model of Juki.?The machine had no difficulty moving the needle and the material.

Thanks.

Hi (does anyone have a first name anymore?),

1541 is an ok machine for leather, adjustments should be made if that is it's main purpose, I would probably modify the needle plate and a few other things. Usually needle breaks happen when there is a sudden movement of the leather with the needle in it. Usually this happens when transitioning from thick to thinner and the foot slips causing the needle to bend and miss the hole in the needle plate and strike the needle plate and snap. Needles are usually pretty bendy and can take a lot of abuse (especially Organ brand which are real bendy), but strikes are not one of them. It is not uncommon to do this especially when doing heavy leather with a smaller 18-19 or so needle. So don't worry, be happy, but make sure you ALWAYS find both parts of the needle when this happens, even if you have to take the bobbin and shuttle/hook out.

Art

I mostly do hand stitching when working with leather. I do use a machine when repairing horse blankets or other fabric pieces. I have a Juki DN-1541 for this purpose. My problem is: today, I was repairing a horse blanket where a strap had pulled free from the insertion site. This site was reinforced on both sides with leather and the leather was falling apart. I used some saddle skirting scraps on hand to make new replacements. I did skive off several ounces of leather, but the replacements are still thick. I used a needle for leatherwork and stitched away. Did fine until almost finished and the needle broke off.

Now, after removing a jammed piece of the broken needle, my husband thinks the leather is too thick for this machine. I disagree.

So, I come to the experts for advice. Is saddle skirting too thick for this model of Juki.?The machine had no difficulty moving the needle and the material.

Thanks.