Sign in to follow this  
Tina

A plea for some help...

I'm hoping for some help here from all of you pro braiders.

I want to make a very simple, 4-stand braid in black and white horse hair, less than a 1/4 inch thick. How do you make a "rope" longer than the hair it self and make it look good and be strong? The hair I'm having is around 27" long.

Greatful for any help//Tina

I used both theese for making a 4-strand cord with kangaroolace 2,5mm and the handle on my whiskyflask (if you've seen it). That lace was from a thin veg tan piece that i cut 4-strands from the handle to braid together.

If the rope is to be longer than the hair itself I think you're gonna have the pleasures of splicing it. I'd say braiding those chords was a handful and splicing I imagine to be horrible but who knows it might be easy if the ends are tied togehter first and you get enough space to pull the ropes into on another and that way get a selftightening splice.

Wish I could help you more but I know there are some good forces in those questions here. Meanwhile you can study those links.

Oh, the kango chord I made is the one on top of the tube.

Tom

Tina, I've been braiding horsehair for most of my life, and one thing I have learned is to not ever splice hair.

What happens when you splice is you have these ends that stick out and poke you. As time goes by they unravel a little and poke you even more. Some people find that acceptable. I do not.

My solution is to either: use longer hair (you can get some pretty long hair, sometimes well over 3') or, design the braided article with knots and so on, so you do your splice under a knot where it will not poke anyone or detract from the strength. This makes my work very smooth, comfortable to be around, and unique.

I'm also sorry to tell you that if you want your braids to come out even, you are not only going to have to count the same amount of hairs into each bundle, you are going to have to turn half the hairs "upside down" (one set going from root of hair to brush of tail, the other set going from brush of tail to root of hair) to counteract the natural taper that is in horsehair.

Good luck! I think everyone should braid horsehair. Then they would not have any time left over to start fights, pollute rivers, make up computer viruses, steal other people's stuff etc. ;)

Tina, I've been braiding horsehair for most of my life, and one thing I have learned is to not ever splice hair.

What happens when you splice is you have these ends that stick out and poke you. As time goes by they unravel a little and poke you even more. Some people find that acceptable. I do not.

My solution is to either: use longer hair (you can get some pretty long hair, sometimes well over 3') or, design the braided article with knots and so on, so you do your splice under a knot where it will not poke anyone or detract from the strength. This makes my work very smooth, comfortable to be around, and unique.

I'm also sorry to tell you that if you want your braids to come out even, you are not only going to have to count the same amount of hairs into each bundle, you are going to have to turn half the hairs "upside down" (one set going from root of hair to brush of tail, the other set going from brush of tail to root of hair) to counteract the natural taper that is in horsehair.

Good luck! I think everyone should braid horsehair. Then they would not have any time left over to start fights, pollute rivers, make up computer viruses, steal other people's stuff etc. ;)

LOL...I did make a braid today just to try it out and I understand what you say "I think everyone should braid horsehair. Then they would not have any time left over to start fights, pollute rivers, make up computer viruses, steal other people's stuff etc." I discovered that you have to be very patience for sure and loads of extra time on your hand:-)

On this project I might not be able (?) to have any knots, and I dont want any hairs pooking out left right and center so I guess I have to find something else...D..n it, it would have looked sooo cool, then again, to make knots in the material...Mama Mia, it's slippery and have a mind of its own. I for one admire you braiders even more after trying a very simple thing and going to look at your work with totally new eyes from now on. Thanks a million for your advice and the tips:-)