Tallbald

Homemade Modified Arbor Press For Border Stamping. Video Link.

Hi. Several years ago when I first started working with leather I modified an inexpensive arbor press to become both a border stamping machine and a drill press for a hand grinder style tool. The adjustable fence works very well, and the accessory table removes quickly to let the circular press table be used as the press was made for. I also made a return spring for the spur gear stud by using a leather strap, a tension spring and a small head bolt drilled and tapped into the spur gear stud. The fence is a strap of scrap stainless steel, the base and other wood parts are scrap oak. A cutting board section was mad into the new table surface.

Hope the link works. Just now learning to upload to Youtube. Thanks for looking. Don

Edited by Tallbald

That's pretty handy. Thanks for posting. I am sure my one ton arbor press is too big but been wanting a small one.

Thank you. I hope that my design will help some other leather crafters here who might have disabilities like mine. I built it because I have a spinal injury, can only set for rather short times, and also have prsoriatic arthritis in my joints. Hammering a border stamping is very difficult because of the needed movements. My hands also go numb after a few inches of decorating. This modification have been wonderful for me, allowing me to stamp an entire line in one setting. It is, I seem to recall, a one ton press from Harbor Freight. Don.

I like your set up. The one question I have is on the fence why do you have your contact point against the fence so small? Don't you have an issue of keeping your work square? I bought my arbor press for mainly setting snaps, do you do use yours for snaps also? I'm trying to improve my setup for snaps.

I like your set up. The one question I have is on the fence why do you have your contact point against the fence so small? Don't you have an issue of keeping your work square?

If I were to guess, it'd be to make it easier to put a border around and inside curve. I noticed when he was doing the demo on that bit of scrap that he had no issues transitioning along that odd compound curve. I don't think a flat fence would work for such a task.

It'd probably be easy enough to make a flat faced guide to do up a continuous straight edge, like a belt. He might even have one that just got camera shy, too.

Truthfully I "eyeball" the perpendicular to the fence. If a customer desires a "perfect" line they need to buy from an import CNC embossing setup. I point this out. My arbor press is an adjunct to hand stamping. This may not be for everyone, but as a physically challenged (hate to be PC) fela it has worked well and I hope it helps another crafter.Don.

Edited by Tallbald

I have been thinking about making a similar setup for a while so I could border stamp at night without a noise issue. Thanks for the post.

Very nice!

Thank you all. My press is indeed nice and quiet in the evening when I work after Miss Penny must rest. it easier too on my arthritic hands and arms. And I can set snaps precisely and quietly. I even made a drill press attachment for it to use my Proxxon rotary tool for drilling small holes for hand stitching before I bought Bertha Jo, my Cowboy 3500 sewing machine. Don.

I like it Tallbald. I've been using an arbor press for some of my stamping, but haven't yet modified it with a fence or drilled ram... Mostly using it for lettering stamps so far, but I'll modify it for further use soon!

I'm really curious about how you rigged the return spring. I think I understand what you did there, but a picture is worth a thousand words, so, could I persuade you to show us??

Thanks!

Bill

Very cool!

I realized when I filmed the video I had indeed not captured the right side of my machine. Here is a still shot that shows the spring, as well as the attachment converting the press into a small drill press at the side.

The spring is a tension spring from our scrap box, and is anchored to the base at one end and a leather strap at the other. The strap simply wraps over the press spur gear shaft and fits over a short bolt that I screwed into a drilled and tapped 1/4-20 hole. If not clear enough I can snap an additional photo easily. Don.

110.jpg

Thanks Don! That's a really great addition to the arbor. I see how it works now, and really like the drill attachment too. Very clever!

Bill

I appreciate the compliments. Before I bought Bertha Jo, my Cowboy 3500, all my sewing was saddle stitching. I used the drilling setup to drill thread holes. Don.

Tallbald,

You gained all me respect when you warmly thanked you wife for filming the tutorial. And you discovered a very clever idea to do a tedious job, in a very, very helpful way.

THANK YOU!

jr

I know that a lot of men aren't comfortable openly expressing love and appreciation, but not me. As a trained health care provider I learned the value of sharing with another person kind thoughts. My wife Penny is one of God's blessings to me, and to those with whom she interacts. I always try to acknowledge hers and other's I love or know contributions to life, love and meaningful existence. Thank you for your compliment Jreeser1. I see from your ID you are a survivor twice. I don't know you. But with your permission I will offer words of thanks for your survival tonight.

I do hope the modifications I made to my press help others with disabilities or need. It's so much easier on my joints and fingers. Don

Don, thank you so much for sharing this video. I punched holes and attached grommets for the first time today. It was terrible. Due to disabilities I just can not accomplish these things. I hopped on here to try and find a solution. So glad I found your post. Will be looking for an arbor press now. After removing the arbor, you drilled 2 holes. One for the locking handle and another one. What size is that one? Or does it just need to be large enough for the stamping tool?

The pic you posted of the tension spring on the right is no longer there. Could you post another one?

Thanks

Amy

I know that a lot of men aren't comfortable openly expressing love and appreciation, but not me. As a trained health care provider I learned the value of sharing with another person kind thoughts. My wife Penny is one of God's blessings to me, and to those with whom she interacts. I always try to acknowledge hers and other's I love or know contributions to life, love and meaningful existence. Thank you for your compliment Jreeser1. I see from your ID you are a survivor twice. I don't know you. But with your permission I will offer words of thanks for your survival tonight.

I do hope the modifications I made to my press help others with disabilities or need. It's so much easier on my joints and fingers. Don

I figured out a really easy removable limit stop to limit the upward travel of the arbor when doing repeat stamping, but is removable to change tools.

If you take a piece of steel rod, like a screwdriver shaft, and place it in the teeth of the arbors rack below press head and hold it in there with a fat rubber band, it will stop the upward travel at whatever height you set it at.

Also, be on the look out for boat/implement steering wheels for one that would fit to replace the handle on the press. May need to modify the wheel hub or make a hub adapter. If you are clever, you will leave the original hole for the bar accessable to re-insert the bar for leverage when you need it.

Amyamy I didn't realize I had deleted the other photo on photobucket, and will find and repost it. The end of the arbor shaft is drilled 5/16 diameter 1 1/4 inches deep. The locking screw through hole is drilled and tapper for a 1/4-20 short bolt. Both the vise and modified arbor press I made help me so very much with my leather crafting, as I hope something similar can help others. I used a Harbor Freight press bought for $40 using one of their 20% off coupons so often seen. Don

I couldn't edit the place where I had posted photos of my return spring arrangement that were accidentally deleted. Here are, as asked, a couple photos I snapped a few minutes ago. I hope these help. Don

PC092319.jpg

PC092320.jpg

brilliant simply brilliant.Thanks for the post !!!

After reading this post and watching the video I went on line and found a 25% off coupon for harbor freight printed it and then made a bee line to the nearest store. Bought the 1 ton for $41.oo and change and brought it home yesterday. Then proceded to look for more youtube videos of use of the arbor press for leather work. Tallbald thanks so much for the post and I hope you continue to use and enjoy your press just like the many of us that thanks to you will be doing the same.

Johnny Dingus

Johnny thank you so much. I do hope others can gain from my experimentation with tools that help folks with limitations as I have. I disassembled my HF press and deburred it, and applied good paint to smooth over some rough spots while it was disassembled. Please let me know if I can help. DOn.

@Tallbald I do apologize about bringing up such an old thread. I must say your press is pretty great. I am envious of several of your modifications. One in particular is the return spring. I see you posted several pictures but they all show as unavailable at the moment. Would be so kind as to upload the picture again? It would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!