jcmcf2

Brass Stamps

I picked up a dozen or so stamps in a larger collection that appear to be brass. There are no numbers or names on the stamps.. Is Kelly the only company that used brass and could the earlier stamps have no number or name as Craftool did?

Posting some pics will help.

post-25591-001115100 1319134182_thumb.jppost-25591-064833500 1319134169_thumb.jpHere are some pics of the brass stamps.post-25591-084426200 1319134159_thumb.jp

Thanks again,

Jere

Little tough to tell from the ends, but I have some brass toned tools that have been either cadmium , or zinc plated which gave them the color. Zinc plating is not always silver in color.

Are they magnetic? If so, I would say plated steel.

A quick test if nonmagnetic would be to take one, and sand, or file, the end that is struck. If it is plated it will change color quickly as the plating is very thin. If it is solid brass it won't change.

I have a few Hidecrafters that have darkened in color but, I think you right, it must be the plating process.

Little tough to tell from the ends, but I have some brass toned tools that have been either cadmium , or zinc plated which gave them the color. Zinc plating is not always silver in color.

Are they magnetic? If so, I would say plated steel.

A quick test if nonmagnetic would be to take one, and sand, or file, the end that is struck. If it is plated it will change color quickly as the plating is very thin. If it is solid brass it won't change.

Wyoslick or somebody more in tune with Craftool history probably has the answer. I looked at a large set of tools a few years ago from a closed down summer camp. They had several sets of stamps that had that brass finish. There were a few still in sets in bags and boxed with low end swivel knives and wooden mallets. I assumed they were made for bulk sales or entry level craft programs.

A little follow up info on the stamps. They are plated steel as you thought. They were in a bag marked "Northwest" but I don't think that is relative. These three pictures show the different designs on the shafts so I don't think they are from the same set. The first has two designs evenly split on the shaft. The second is all one design and the third is smooth.

post-25591-062153000 1319412070_thumb.jp

post-25591-081890200 1319412079_thumb.jp

post-25591-012185400 1319412092_thumb.jp

I have a large collection of stamps (±300) purchased used in the mid '60's that have been stored away all these years. It includes a variety of plated steel numbered Craftool, as well as quite a few unmarked stainless tools.

The most intriguing part of the collection is a large set of brass stamps, with many patterns in graduated size. They are completely non-magnetic (even the stainless steel tools are very slightly magnetic). Plus, I lightly filed the end of one punch to examine the core metal: Its the same as the surface -yellow brass or bronze- no plating.

I've researched online to find information on vintage leather tool makers who produced brass stamps, with disappointing results (nothing substantial). Can anyone explain this mystery? I will attempt to upload photos.

(By the way. I'm new to this forum.)

The most intriguing part of the collection is a large set of brass stamps, with many patterns in graduated size. ...

I've researched online to find information on vintage leather tool makers who produced brass stamps, with disappointing results (nothing substantial). Can anyone explain this mystery? I will attempt to upload photos.

Welcome to the forum. I would very much like to see your photos and see what the resident experts say also. When you get the pictures you may want to post in this thread http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showforum=17 instead of here which is an items for sale thread.

Here are some photos of the brass stamps. First three photos are overlapiing sequence of the faces, in the wood case they came in. Last two photos are of the shank knurling, and the end I nicked with a jewler's file.

[in the top left of the first photo, there's also a group of unmarked and un-plated carbon steel stamps, and a Midas flower.]

post-44701-0-86921400-1378256074_thumb.j

post-44701-0-54254500-1378256098_thumb.j

post-44701-0-99825600-1378256119_thumb.j

post-44701-0-33691200-1378256167_thumb.j

post-44701-0-02217000-1378256186_thumb.j