Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Feedback On New-To-Me Design

I drew this up for a customer who requested spring steel clips on his IWB. I can only imagine that its not an original design, although I havent seen one myself.

Anyway it's a pancake style IWB holster with the clips attached low on the leather. There is a leather spacer between the body of the holster and the clip. It is all attached very tightly with a single Chicago Screw on each clip. They clip does not rotate.

Im ready to send this one out, but wanted to run it by you all first and see if anything jumps out at you as a horrible idea.

Thanks!

239iwb1.jpg

239iwb2.jpg

Nothing horrible. Nice and clean as usual. Just hope those metal clips don't tear up that nice belt...

Theyre going to. This particular customer has arthritis and has trouble with the regular snap loops, thus the request for the steel clips.

I have some kydex scraps. I might try to form some tomorrow. Dont know if they would work better or not though.

Thanks!

Looks pretty nice. I'm not a big fan of tuckable holsters but if you must have one that looks like it's as good as it gets.

I know nothing about guns or holsters....but very cool looking! Sleek!

It is a very nice holster. I haven't used that particular belt clip, though. I have used the plain one. I have thought about getting some kind of nylon washer and see if it is better at preventing wear.

I suppose you could always got some kydex clips from Com-tac, at $8 apiece if you don't make your own.

I'm wondering if there is enough room in the clips for belt and pants?

No doubt the clips will seriously abrade his belt and pants... however... it's what he wants.

Nicely executed, Shooter.

Nick

Very nice. It is sort-of similar to a design DM Bullard makes and it works as a tuckable. As a gun carrier, I'd make two changes:

1) Those metal clips, especially the bottom stickie out part, tear up furniture and car seats. I have a friend whose car seat looks like a squirrel was chewing on it because of those clips.. Kydex clips might work better since they don't have that sharp edge sticking out. Another alternative is to put little leather socks on each clip to soften the edge.

2) add a leather washer between the clip and leather holster. This is will give a person more room to spread out their shirt when tucking, make it easier and more certain to pull out their shirt when deploying the gun, and prevent their shirt from getting stuck between the clip and leather holster.

As usual, . . . good looking work, Shooter, . . .

If it was me, . . . because I have arthritis in my fingers, . . . and at times I get this urge to smack a brick wall and give them something to hurt about, . . . but so far have restrained myself.

Again, . . . because of the arthritis, . . . there is a different clip that has a bigger lip in front, . . . and does not have the bottom fold in the inside of the clip, . . . that is the one I would use, . . . as it would be much easier to get on and off, . . . and believe me, . . . when your hands and fingers hurt, . . . anything that is easier helps.

Just a suggestion, . . . not being critical,...........

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks all.

Dwight, I'd be interested in seeing the clips you mention. His request was for 1.75" capacity clips and these are what my local Tandy offered in that size. If you can post a link or something that would be great.

TwoMikes: I thought about sleeving the clip but then worried about the extra material causing trouble. Hopefully there is enough on the bottom of the holster to prevent that from happening. Also, there is a leather washer sandwiched between the holster and the clip. I do this on all my IWB's and carried it over to this one for the reason you mentioned.

For the guy's arthritis, would a velcro attachment method be more comfortable? My mother-in-law has arthritis and she has trouble with little tabs like that. Comp-Tac has clips for that style.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=78

I'll look around and see if I can't find the link to a site that has all sorts of preformed injection molded holster clips if you like.

Something you might consider is doing the Kydex thing, but before you heat and bend the kydex, place it between two 2 oz pieces stitched up against the sides of the kydex. You don't have to heat it up until the leather burns as you know but enough tha tyou can get the bends in it your seeking. I'd also consider putting either two Chicago Screws or gromets to hold the holster in place?

Really nice looking rig Shooter and Tuckable is a very good option, it won't make him a target and he can get to it when needed...