What is the best way to remove Barge "all purpose cement" from raw leather? I keep getting it on belt liners. I guess I'm putting too much on - maybe just a small amount in the middle of the liner is all it takes prior to sewing.

I have tried several things to remove it but the dye ect will not take the same way on that area.

Tom,

When the glue is dry it should be easy to remove by rubbing it...try using an eraser to get it up. When you've applied the glue to the leather, make sure you clean up any residue before on your glueboard before setting the second piece of leather on it. It shouldn't be difficult to keep the leather clean of glue. When you do get a little residue, after removing it, clean the leather with Oxalic Acid.

Bob

hidepounder,

Thanks for the fix....

Actually, those strange rubber blocks that you can buy at Grizzly for cleaning sandpaper up work pretty well. And for what it's worth, they do about a million other things that are pretty nifty. If you ever have to take thread out of stitching holes, it will pull em' out quicker than a duck on a junebug! We buy the big blocks and cut them up into small pcs on a clicker press so we can resell them. It's probably one of our most ordered items.

Deglazer (Fiebing's) works pretty well to remove any left over residue once you rub off the rest.

Actually, those strange rubber blocks that you can buy at Grizzly for cleaning sandpaper up work pretty well. And for what it's worth, they do about a million other things that are pretty nifty. If you ever have to take thread out of stitching holes, it will pull em' out quicker than a duck on a junebug! We buy the big blocks and cut them up into small pcs on a clicker press so we can resell them. It's probably one of our most ordered items.

That's a good tip!

Bob

Kevin,

I purchased the large sheets for the thickness sander and cut them up and use them for all sorts of things like that. My son had to pull stitching on an old holster once and was complaining about it. So I gave him on these small ones to help get the stitching out quickly and his grandfather (on my wife's side - that's my story...and I'm sticking to it) said it was great for rolling up booger balls too (rubber cement). My son laughed a lot at that.

Regards,

Ben