I just ordered some Montana pitch blend to try out on my seats, I know Christian at Xian leather seems to love it, but I don't hear many people talking about it here. Anyone ever try it or have opinions on it? It seems like there isn't anything else like it at least in regards to the pine pitch being added. I suppose I'll find out soon enough for myself, it wasn't exactly cheap(at least once shipping was added) but for good protection it seems reasonable.

I know a guy who makes bushcraft knife sheaths and he will ONLY use Montana Pitch Blend--loves the stuff! I haven't tried it myself, but I have heard that it's good

Like Noah, I've heard it's some of the best stuff out there for weatherproofing leather. But I haven't had a chance to purchase or use any yet. Please let us know how you like it.

I hear it's really good, I find it strange that more people don't use it if it that good. The downside is paying 10.00 for shipping for a container of it since I can't order it along with my other supplies. I got the medium size one because the shipping was about the same for the small one and it wasn't very big. If I like it and it turns out to be what I use I'll order the BIG bucket of it and not have to worry about shipping for a long time.

I'll report my findings.

I really like it too. Kind of melts with your hand friction and really seals the leather well, lets it breathe and waterproofs better than Mink Oil. 2 coats is best and let them soak in between coats.

Well worth it.

pete

where are you buying Montana pitch blend? now I'm interested.

ken

I THINK that I got it from Kevin at Springfield, but if not I ordered it directly from them online.

pete

If there is a Red Wing Shoe Store near you look for the product "Irish Setter Brand"

i was told that it is the same as Montana Pitch Blend.

I ordered it directly from thier site, I ordered it Sunday and it shipped Monday. I don't think Springfield has it, thats where I order most of my stuff from and I've never seen it on thier site. I didn't know about the Redwing thing so I didn't check there. It would have been more convienient if Springfield has it, I could have ordered it with other things and saved shipping. I didn't verify that they don't have it though, so It could be worth a call.

I have both Pecard's and MPB. I have used Pecard's for years and it is an excellent product. I bought the MPB on a whim, both the paste and the liquid and found both to be excellent. Wife says she is going to have the undertaker preserve me with whatever is left over. I use either product and usually coat twice (a light coats a couple of days apart) for now, I use the same product for each coat, haven't tried one coat Pecard's and one coat MPB. The MPB has a little smell (Pine) to it whereas the Pecard's is fairly neutral.

Art

I have both Pecard's and MPB. I have used Pecard's for years and it is an excellent product. I bought the MPB on a whim, both the paste and the liquid and found both to be excellent. Wife says she is going to have the undertaker preserve me with whatever is left over. I use either product and usually coat twice (a light coats a couple of days apart) for now, I use the same product for each coat, haven't tried one coat Pecard's and one coat MPB. The MPB has a little smell (Pine) to it whereas the Pecard's is fairly neutral.

Art

Is there any reason you choose one over the other for a specific project or is it more of whatever you feel like using at the time? I was going to get Pecards but decided to go this route instead, I think I was sold with the idea of the pine pitch being added.

No reason other than Montana Pitchblend tells you exactly what is in their product, Pecard's does not. I still have a half tub of Pecard's to use, so I will use it until used up. I have been doing one Pecard's and one Montana Pitchblend for a while, I'll let everyone know in a year or so if there is a difference. For M/C seats, I'm not worried about anti-microbial/fungal as they spend enough time in the UV to kill that stuff, but for holsters and horsey stuff, the anti-microbial properties of pine-tar and beeswax appeal to me.

Art

Is there any reason you choose one over the other for a specific project or is it more of whatever you feel like using at the time? I was going to get Pecards but decided to go this route instead, I think I was sold with the idea of the pine pitch being added.

I received my package today with a little jug of goodness. I got the 12oz tub, it is very stiff compared to the Aussie Conditioner that I've been using, it also has more of a scent which is a nice scent, it doesn't really smell like pine to me though. I just finished up a seat the other day so I got to test it out, It went on very well, it melted very easily just by rubbing it in. I heated it up lightly with a hairdryer just to see its reaction, Aussie wax turns to liquid very easily, while this held up and did not, I don't know that that means anything but it seems like this stuff would hold up much better when it has someone sitting on it. I obviously can't say much else, but I'm going to try some on my boots as I figure they will see more abuse than just about anything else. I'll report my findings after some long term testing, but I feel pretty confident with this stuff and will be using it on all my seats.

I have some of it and I'm not as big a fan as most seem to be. I find it too 'greasy'.

I like sno-seal better.

By no means am I totally experienced with this stuff but I have really liked using snoseal, picards, and aussie wax. I like the idea of keeping the leather protected and being able to clean with some saddle soap and reapply once in a while. I do this with everything I make now.

I think I will try the MPB when I run out of other stuff but more and more I am relying on my own home brew stuff. Its just bees wax, parafin wax in equal parts with some neats foot oil thrown in. It comes out like somewhat hard butter but melts nicely when you rub it in with your fingers. Has a really nice mellow finish that buffs out real well. Once this batch is run out I may try the mix with some pitch or rosin in the mix and see what happens. I know it is easier to just buy the stuff but alot of fun to use something I made on my own.

Edited by MADMAX22

By no means am I totally experienced with this stuff but I have really liked using snoseal, picards, and aussie wax. I like the idea of keeping the leather protected and being able to clean with some saddle soap and reapply once in a while. I do this with everything I make now.

I think I will try the MPB when I run out of other stuff but more and more I am relying on my own home brew stuff. Its just bees wax, parafin wax in equal parts with some neats foot oil thrown in. It comes out like somewhat hard butter but melts nicely when you rub it in with your fingers. Has a really nice mellow finish that buffs out real well. Once this batch is run out I may try the mix with some pitch or rosin in the mix and see what happens. I know it is easier to just buy the stuff but alot of fun to use something I made on my own.

I like making my own stuff, I'm making a maul right now, and I've made quite a few other tools because I can't really afford some things, however I can't imagine I can make anything better than what is available commercially as far as conditioners go. So far I've used Sno-seal, Sno-proof, and Aussie conditioner and probably something else I can't think of. Sno seal and sno proof seem to be very close, and Aussie conditioner seems to be a lighter mix if that makes sense, but the MPB seems like it would offer the most protection from the elements so far. It buffed off nicely and I don't think it's greasy, it feels and looks about the same as sno-seal and sno proof. I don't mind it being a little waxy, especially on a MC seat because I don't like them being overly slippery.

Where did you get the beeswax in quantity? I've bought the small cakes but they are small and a few bucks, it wouldn't be cost effective to make anything out of them but I'm sure it can be had cheaper or probably free if you know the right person.

I like making my own stuff, I'm making a maul right now, and I've made quite a few other tools because I can't really afford some things, however I can't imagine I can make anything better than what is available commercially as far as conditioners go. So far I've used Sno-seal, Sno-proof, and Aussie conditioner and probably something else I can't think of. Sno seal and sno proof seem to be very close, and Aussie conditioner seems to be a lighter mix if that makes sense, but the MPB seems like it would offer the most protection from the elements so far. It buffed off nicely and I don't think it's greasy, it feels and looks about the same as sno-seal and sno proof. I don't mind it being a little waxy, especially on a MC seat because I don't like them being overly slippery.

Where did you get the beeswax in quantity? I've bought the small cakes but they are small and a few bucks, it wouldn't be cost effective to make anything out of them but I'm sure it can be had cheaper or probably free if you know the right person.

Yeah maybe if you know someone it could be pretty cheap or free.

I got mine at Joanns where it comes in a pretty good sized brick. Its still pricey but far cheaper then the individual cakes ecspecially when they have it on sale. Its in the candle making section. Come to think of it any candle making section of a hobby store of sorts should have it cheaper then the "specialized" cakes you get for leather working and such.

Be sure to look online also. There are places that sell just bees wax and related items for far cheaper.

Edited by MADMAX22

I get beeswax from a beekeeper and I wouldn't think of getting it for free, or even asking, or even taking if offered. I paid him 150 for a 40 lb block, because that is all he would take. That is probably the cheapest you will find. A 40 lb block lasts a long time, like about 10 years.

Art

Yeah maybe if you know someone it could be pretty cheap or free.

I got mine at Joanns where it comes in a pretty good sized brick. Its still pricey but far cheaper then the individual cakes ecspecially when they have it on sale. Its in the candle making section. Come to think of it any candle making section of a hobby store of sorts should have it cheaper then the "specialized" cakes you get for leather working and such.

Be sure to look online also. There are places that sell just bees wax and related items for far cheaper.

I didn't mean anything by saying it could be had free or cheap, I just remember reading another post where someone got it from a beekeeper that didn't need it because it was a byproduct of his intended goal. Even so 150.00 seems reasonable for that much considering it'll last for ever(or 10 years, whichever comes first)

It's been a week or so since I've applied the MPB on the seat, Any waxy or greasy feeling that it had after the applications has went away (just like the pamphlet said it would) and it feels just the same as any other conditioner I've used.

I get beeswax from a beekeeper and I wouldn't think of getting it for free, or even asking, or even taking if offered. I paid him 150 for a 40 lb block, because that is all he would take. That is probably the cheapest you will find. A 40 lb block lasts a long time, like about 10 years.

Art