Sign in to follow this  
Raynman

looking for Lightweight trail saddle design ideas

I want to get a light weight trail saddle. The terrain I work in is technically difficult, rocky, shale, high degree incline and decline. I want something that is close contact, light, round skirt with a medium to narrow swell. I would appreciate any ideas, pix, etc.

Thanks

Ray

I've got an uncle that is 83 and still chasing cows. Problem is, the arthritis in his wrists is so bad he can't pick up either of his saddles. So far what I've decided on is a Ralide tree, plastic stirrups, 10 oz. leather and in skirt riggings, slick seat and no carving he'll contact because he's been getting shingles on his legs. I will do the half leathers to save weight. I'll cover the stirrups and use real sheepskin, but where ever I can save weight I will (and still keep it safe).

When I made David O'Conner's (oops name drop) cross country saddle, I actually drilled holes in the tree to keep the weight down, but that is steel reinforced.

But those are the ideas I've come up with so far. Kevin