Sign in to follow this  
leatheroo

how to calculate lacing amount for braids

Is there a basic calculation for the amount of lacing needed to complete a certain length of braid. Example... if i was doing a 4 round braid using 3mm(1/8 inch) lacing, how much should i allow so the finished braid is 30cm(12inches)? At the moment i either dont allow enough or have too much left over.

thanks

leatheroo

I always cut my strings 1and1/2 times the length of my finished product. So 12" finished braid I would cut my string 18" long. It will vary from braider to braider on how you need to add. Because everyone will braid at a differnt angle and tightness. But I would say 1 and 1/2 times would be the least amount to start with. Hope this helps. Mike

Is there a basic calculation for the amount of lacing needed to complete a certain length of braid. Example... if i was doing a 4 round braid using 3mm(1/8 inch) lacing, how much should i allow so the finished braid is 30cm(12inches)? At the moment i either dont allow enough or have too much left over.

thanks

Rawhide1 is correct 1 1/2 half the desired length will cover it but in my experience only to the end it doesn't leave enough for you to grab on to when you get to the end of the piece you are braiding over. So on short pieces I usually go with double the desired length. On longer pieces like a 10 ft. whip I go 1/1/2 the length and then add another foot so I have something to grab when I get to the end of the whip. So a 10 ft. whip need laces that are 16 ft. long.

Hope this helps

All the best

Victor