Rawhide

New Stitching Horse Clamps

Here's a picture of my stitching horse clamps that I just completed. I had forum members BillyP and Blake assist me with what they had in design and I modified the design to suit my needs.I drew the parts in CATIA (3d modeling software) and printed a full size 2D section. I traced the section onto the end grain of some hard rock maple and had a guy at the local Woodcraft rough cut them out for me on the band saw. I then used my belt sander to finesse the shape and then an orbital palm sander to smooth out the finish. Then I cut out the necessary notches and holes with a jigsaw. I covered the tips with garment weight leather. They aren't perfect, but they work for me!

Marlon

DSCN0212.JPG

DSCN0214.JPG

post-3307-1220638990_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1220639030_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rawhide

Very fine woodworking skills, I like, and just as soon as I find me a 14" bandsaw I will be making one also. Just sold my atlas metalworking lathe so I have a few dollars to spend, but I want an old one I can refurbish. The new saws are pretty much junk, unless you spend alot.

You are your worst critic because it looks awesome. I have been planning on building one, but since I just my dining table to do my stamping and living room chair to do my sewing, I am really going to have to find something creative. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Marlon, you're looking good with the stitching horse my man. If what little I sent you helped any, then I am a happy man. I made me a stitching pony, kind of like Mr. Dale Grawboski makes. Mine isn't as nice, but it works for me at least for now. I jkust extended an old Tandy pony to get the height, then added a piece of lumber to the bottom to hold with my feet, an presto there it was. Ugly and functional, just like me. Anyway you did a good job and if I were closer to Ft.Worth, I'd get you to help me make one too. Later Bro, Billy P

Thanks guys. I appreciate the compliments. I can't take credit for the seat, but I rebuilt the rest of it from new wood. Hopefully it will last me a while.

BillyP, Thanks again. Those plans did help a bunch. I couldn't follow the plan exactly because it would have meant a lot of reworking the existing stuff, which I wasn't ready to do.

Marlon

Nice stitching horse, Marlon! Aren't they great?

My father-in-law made me one using the plans by Al Stohlman. I really love mine!

Hilly

Nice stitching horse, Marlon! Aren't they great?

My father-in-law made me one using the plans by Al Stohlman. I really love mine!

Hilly

yeah that third hand is really hard to beat. Glad you like yours. This one is a variation of the one Al designed.

Marlon

You are your worst critic because it looks awesome. I have been planning on building one, but since I just my dining table to do my stamping and living room chair to do my sewing, I am really going to have to find something creative. Thanks for sharing.

atx

there is a lay out of a stitching horse that hangs on your dinning room chair, its an one of al stohlman stitchin and lacing books

CATIA eh? V4 or V5? I was a CATIA guy for many years. I thought V4 was bad when we first got it and then finally got used to it. Then V5 came along and I just threw up my hands and said, no way. I'm retiring!

Got one question, though. All that nice design work and wood work on the jaws.....and then ya went and stuck that old used hinge on there. tisk tisk.... looks like something I'd do.

CATIA eh? V4 or V5? I was a CATIA guy for many years. I thought V4 was bad when we first got it and then finally got used to it. Then V5 came along and I just threw up my hands and said, no way. I'm retiring!

Got one question, though. All that nice design work and wood work on the jaws.....and then ya went and stuck that old used hinge on there. tisk tisk.... looks like something I'd do.

Right now I use mostly V5, but I've got maybe 15000 hrs. of V4.

As far as the hinge goes....It's the original hinge that was on the old jaws. I figured, it still works, might as well use it.

Maybe I'll sand it down and paint it.