Sign in to follow this  
ZenPaigeOCN

Newbie Here

Hello Everyone. I am new to leatherworking. I know nothing except that I love leather. I see all the beautiful things many of you have created and I think "Ooooo I wanna know how to do that!" Then I think "Hmmm....probably isnt as simple as it looks".

I currently have a lot of time on my hands and will have even MORE when winter sets in. I am hoping to stock up on projects during the rest of the summer and early fall so I'll be ready once the snow comes and possibly interfere with the mail. Then hopefully be able to sell them off to fund another set of projects.

Comments, suggestions and advice welcome.

Hello Everyone. I am new to leatherworking. I know nothing except that I love leather. I see all the beautiful things many of you have created and I think "Ooooo I wanna know how to do that!" Then I think "Hmmm....probably isnt as simple as it looks".

I currently have a lot of time on my hands and will have even MORE when winter sets in. I am hoping to stock up on projects during the rest of the summer and early fall so I'll be ready once the snow comes and possibly interfere with the mail. Then hopefully be able to sell them off to fund another set of projects.

Hi there. Welcome to LW. So the leatherbug has bitten, eh? Welcome to the crowd! :) Do you have any ideas what types of things you are interested in making, ie: bags, wallets, belts, horse tack, etc.? Do you want to learn how to carve and tool? Use exotic leathers?

Tandy leather sells leatherwork kits which might be a good way to start, and find the types of things you like to do? Otherwise, you'll find everyone here to be helpful if you have particular questions.

I envy you having a lot of time on your hands. Tomorrow I start my summer job, and I work 70-80 hours per week. Beginning tomorrow, there will be no time or energy for leatherwork till after Labor Day for me :bawling:

Enjoy your addiction new hobby, and please post photos of your projects! We all love photos!

Hilly

Welcome to LW.net and to your newest nightmare, Just kidding!!!! We all love working with leather and the folks on the forum here are more then happy to make a suggestion or help with a problem. Post photos of what you are doing and ask for help. You will get all the answers you need. Find some used books for beginning leather tooling. A great one is Al Stohlmans "Figure 8" belt book.

In it you will find the basics to learn tooling, caseing leather (moisture content), finishing, ect. Are all there and not overwhelming.

Use the "SEARCH" button in the right upper corner of the LW.net page to look for "threads" on subjects you may have questions on, we have all had them before so chances are there is something here from previous discussions that might help.

Check with your local Tandy store to see when they have beginning tooling classes . They are a great help for beginners!!

Take care, and welcome,

Rick J.

hi everyone, i'm from Vietnam, a newbie .I really love leather products such as boots, jacket, belts, wallets.... things made by leather. there are many in vietnam but most of them from china or products made by vietnam for domestic market is not good quality or style i don't like. the imported products from europe , usa or australia those quality good & beautiful but high price that i can not afford. ... it make me bad feeling days by days when i can not touch my favorite one then i started to think why shoudn't i make my own one, i know it will take me much first but will get uncountable experience and happy later. i came to bookstore but there is no any real helpful books about leatherwork.

i found on internet the book named "THE BEGINNING LEATHERWORK BY RON EDWARDS" (i think it's best fit for me, complete beginner, ), actually , i don't know how to do online payment , do not have master card, feel bad...it's great to be member of this website.

Is there any one have this book ? or where to buy this by cash payment?.. please help me get one.

Thanks so much!!!