Kansan

Finishing For Inside Belt Loop?

I'm making an old style US Army cavalry holster for a 1911 pistol. It has a 3" belt loop on it since this style of holster is a thigh holster.

I probably shouldn't have, but I dyed the inside as well as the outside of the belt loop piece. I used Fiebings professional oil dye, so it shouldn't run too much, but I am concerned that the dye will run a bit. The interior of the belt loop will have a leather belt, obviously, rubbing against it and the belt could even potentially be wet with sweat on occasion.

So, prior to final assembly, I'm considering finishing the inside (rough side) of the belt loop with either resolene or just slicking it all with gum tragacanth to really seal it and preventing any dye from bleeding. Is this the best way? Any other ideas?

When I get in a pickle like that, . . . a wool dauber, . . . resolene, . . . finishes off the pickle.

May God bless,

Dwight

Ok, thanks. I think that's what I'll do. Sometimes I forget to think the whole project through before charging forward on different parts. Life and learn...

FWIW, I'd slick the flesh side down with Tan Kote or Bag Kote and then seal it with Resolene. I don't think Resolene by itself will slick the flesh down well enough.

Michelle

Thanks, Michelle for the suggestion. It's too late now, as I just put resolene on it. I'll see how it works. You're probably right that two layers of something (Tan Kote + Resolene) would probably have slicked it more. I'm the only person who will actually use it, so if the dye bleeds it will fit in with all the other dye stains I usually have on my clothes :)