Regis

Welt foot sizing & bag purse suggestions

I see welt feet advertized from about 1/8" to about 1/2" and there is no place local to look at any. Is that the size of the total width of the groove? Or perhaps the hight of the groove? Or is it the welt cord size you are using? If I'm putting 1/8" cord in 2-3 oz leather would be just about 1/4" (if I can calculate right). Would I order 1/8" or 1/4" foot?

Is there a suggested or at leat popular size welt for bags and purses in the 1.5-4oz leather class?

Thank you,

Regis

I am pretty sure that on a cording foot, the sizes that they use for it is the total size of the groove on the foot, and does not have anything to do with the size of the cording. In other words, you will need to wrap the cording in your material that you intend to cover it with, and then take a measurement of it. This will be size of cording foot you need.

The reason for this is because the thickness of material that cording can be covered with varies widely. Therefore, they go by the acutal diameter of the covered cord when selecting an appropriate foot.

If the feet are not too much money, maybe you can buy one size, and then the next size bigger just to be safe. Most cording feet for drop feed machines should be under $10.00. Walking foot cording feet should be no more than $30.00.

Regis, sorry for the delay, somehow I missed this one. For upholstery work the formula is to add 1/16" to the size of the foot, so if you have a 1/8" cord, you will need a 3/16" cording foot. If you have a 3/16" cord, then you will need a 1/4" cording foot, and so on. It will vary when it comes to leather, so as Ryan says, measure the leather that you are going to cover the cording/welting with. There is a better way to do it. Most upholsterers use a right toe zipper foot, so there is nothing to the left of the needle, except for the left edge of the center foot, which many people grind down so you can get closer to the welt or cord. The advantage of the zipper foot over the cording foot is versatility. You can use the zipper foot for zippers(obviously), and for sewing right next to any size of welt or cord. With the cording foot, you can only use it with one size welt or cord. You can also sew closer to the welt or cord with a zipper foot. Remember, you want the right toe zipper foot, not the left. Thanks, Steve