aaron61032

Please Critique My Website

Hello. I have been getting a lot of orders on Etsy but my full website has been less successfully. I would appreciate any critique. Www.spoileddogleather.com

Web-Site looks to be okay, a little on the amateur side but useful.

I am picky about the way text is used on a site.

Your "About Us" page has this line:

Between helping pets and promoting the dying art of leather work I could not be happier to make these for you guys.

Get rid of "you guys". Stop at "you".

At the bottom of each of your pages you have "Footer". That is a coded reference more or less. It should be hidden or simply do not include on the page at all, not necessary.

"Store" pages should tell your potential customers what they need to do to access a particular item to buy. Many folks would not know to "hover" over the item photo.

Your order information is redundant. Your "Hover" should take the customer to the full description with information they need to give you as well as their link to Credit Card/Shopping Cart. If you wish, you could leave both the "Hover" and the Description Text under the photos, linked to the full description page.

Just a few thoughts.

ferg

Ferg,

Thank you for the response. I am trying to get into my website but my computers acting kind of funny. In regards to the footer were you talking about removing the text "footer" or the entire footer? Not sure how much I can do I pre bought the layout. With the other stuff were you talking about the quick shop thing they have?

Alright it let me in. I can not change the footer. It won't even let me change the text. The middle area you are talking about is the way the site has its item collection setup. I really wish I could afford a web designer but I ended up just getting this template. I changed the about me section. Kind of lost what to put in there.

Don't know what you're using but I use Yahoo Sitebuilder. Very easy to use. You website doesn't look bad. I see you changed the wording. Good luck on changing the word footer.

The word "Footer" is what I was referring to. If you cannot change any of the coding they have in the Template you undoubtedly cannot delete the word.

Your redo of the About Us page reads much better, good job!

It is a little strange the template is written with a "Hover" and an entry text. May confuse a number of folks but don't worry about it now.

See how much traffic you get on the site. I haven't allowed the people that are going to contact you with all the fabulous contacts they are going to get for you, to get any further than initial E-mail. Let the Robots scan your site. If you have appropriate layout and important words in your title your site will get listed higher. May take several weeks before you find anyone "Hitting" your site, don't get discouraged.

I have a site I sell one product on. Used a service to get more hits, paid them good money with little to no response. Ditched them as soon as I could. Business has been good ever since. We have more business than we want during Christmas Season.

Unique product line will get you noticed quickly.

ferg

Thanks guys. I have been in business only a month and a half. I am getting a lot of hits but only 7 sales. Etsy had about 40 sales which I thought was strange. I use Shopify and their templates.

i'd suggest you learn how to add your website as a link on your forum signatures (assuming you visit other forums as well as this one).

Its usually just a case of clicking the little "chain" icon on your profile page setup. This forum has a special place to add your URL, but as i use a few sites, i just added the links as part of the signature.

As well as letting people easily access your site, everytime you post on that forum, you are creating a new link to your site, which will be picked up by Googles search spiders and help increase your sites rankings.

Hi there, I have never used the Shopify software, so I don't know how mold-able it is, but I do have a few suggestions. I was a bit confused by the how to drop down menu. I guess I just thought it seemed unnecessary. I think once you get into the order page it is pretty straightforward that you just have to select your options from the drop-down menus. I do think that the info in the how to is valuable, such as what width to pick for your dog, what kind of studs you use, etc. Maybe the reason it confused me was that since it is the first drop-down on the left I thought I needed to go in there to pick a collar and didn't figure out for a few minutes to go to Store. Maybe you could put store on the left and how to on the right so people who don't want the extra info can more easily bypass it. I would also consider (if you can) changing the drop down to say Shop instead of Store. That way it can be seen as both noun and verb (call to action) as in "this is my shop" and "click here to shop". I guess I always think of it as a verb when I see it so the word store threw me off at first.

Also, your header looks great but may be a bit large. I actually have to scroll down to be able to see the whole first row of collars, so it is a bit distracting (could just be because I have a large screen).

I also like to see more personal info about the maker on about pages. Who are you, why did you get into the biz, where do you live, do you have dogs, etc. I find getting a bit personal helps customers to feel like they know you and then they feel like they want to support you. Also having things in common with someone helps customers feel special ("I have a pug too!" or "Hey, I know someone who lives in Seattle, I should tell them about this site.") Just my preference, but I know I like to feel like I have a bit of a relationship with the person who I am buying from and it makes me feel more invested in supporting their business.

I would maybe say "large collars" and "small collars" on the store menu since just "collars" seems like it should be the entire inventory. Also I didn't see the point of the quick shop feature since it doesn't give any options. Does it just add to the cart with the options in the picture? I would probably drop that feature if it was me (if possible).

Sorry if I am super opinionated :) I have been working on my own site too (I also make dog collars). Any input you had on mine would be super appreciated too! (www.cascadeleatherworks.com). I use Wordpress with the Woocommerce e-commerce plugin to make selling on site possible. I have been pretty happy with it, but since it was not originally made to do e-commerce there are a lot of things that feel like a workaround.

Great luck with your site! I have found that mine is just getting rolling really slowly, and I have a few more orders every month. Oh, and the other thing that you can do to help your sales is find out how Shopify handles SEO (keywords, optimizing for google searches, etc.) and make sure you have all the SEO info you can entered. When I did that I saw an increase in sales right away.

I like your collars by the way. Very colorful, and I love all the options!

Almost there, but needs a little cleaning up. I would change the "how to" to products or ordering information. Something like that. Get rid of "the" on the collar names. Get rid of "footer" at the bottom of the page. Consider accepting Paypal.

Hello. I have been getting a lot of orders on Etsy but my full website has been less successfully. I would appreciate any critique. Www.spoileddogleather.com

Edited by flintlock