I've seen latigo in different weights and it's been awhile since I've made a dog collar. What would you say is the average weight used for a dog collar in general?

depends on the size of the dog. I use 10/11 oz latigo leather for small dog harnesses and leads, these are for dogs that range in size from 10 - 15 pounds. If I making collars for the same size dog I split the latigo leather by slightly less than half and make them double sided, so that the over all thickness is slightly less than 10/11 oz. If I were making collars for larger breeds (i.e. pitties, rotties, etc.) I would be more inclined to use a heavier weight latigo.

I'm interest in hearing what weight leather other people are using for their dog collars / leads.

9-10 oz in double ply...at least . I make collars for larger dogs most of the time...80lb and over. Rarely use latigo...mostly bridle, double backs.

Bellow is a youtube link of what i call "double" collar...some close -up shot

I'm doing a run using bridle and I actually like it better than latigo, I may try double backs since legion mentioned it. I started with latigo and haven't really tried anything else till now.

LeatherLegion, what is that stud/loop bit of hardware called? I've made a few on the lathe, but they're kind of a pain in the butt. If there's a ready made option that would be fantastic!
Thanks,
Grumbleduck

Edited by Grumbleduck