joeyrsmith

Singer 211G Alternating Presser Feet Lift Tips/tricks

Hi Gang, been awhile since my last post.

The great info here has kept me going a long time.

Anyway, searched for answers to no avail.

What is the recommended height for the lifting eccentric for various materials?

I have some light weight upholstery fabric by sunbrella that I get fabric bunching/puckering.

I have the right needle & thread, very light foot tension. Thread tension on very light side to relieve pressure.

I have it alot better since two days ago, but still has a slight pucker.

Since I bought the 211g almost 10 months ago I never fooled with this adjustment.

Mine has a push button on top like the stitch length button on the base.

I can move it freely on the height, but trying to figure the proper height for various fabrics.

Leather - sunbrella canvas- marine vinyl.

Thanks

Joey

On most walking foot machines, lowering the movable crank arm in the curved slot on the back makes the feet lift higher and raising it does the opposite. Higher lifting feet can walk over thicker new layers. But, the added motion causes some imbalance and forces you to slow down. When you are sewing upholstery, the material is usually very thin, with new layers typically under 1/16 inch higher or lower than the existing layer. For smoothness and higher operating speed (time is money in upholstery), shift the movable crank arm to the lowest lift position. You will still be able to walk up and down 1/16", but the machine can sew faster and smoother, with much less pounding.

Change your stitch length to at least 5 to the inch, or even longer if the distance between stitches is less critical for puckering. Back off the top and bobbin tensions as necessary to reduce puckering with long stitches.

Use bonded nylon for inside-only goods and bonded polyester for sails, tents, awnings, banners and outdoor cushions. Titanium coated needles are your friend here, especially if you use double-sided basting tape.

Thanks Wiz,

Just what I needed.

I would run the feet at minimum alternating height when sewing cloth and vinyl. Then, raise them if necessary to clear new layers when sewing leather.