NatesCustomHolsters

My First Steering Wheel Project

This is a GT wheel from a 65 mustang fastback. It was in bad shape, so I painted it white then wrapped it in leather. Its got 2 layers of deer hide underneath then cowhide on top, with goat as the caps over the ends where the spokes are.

Not fun. Spent 8 hours yesterday doing the project, the stitching was a pain!

P1010512.jpg

P1010513.jpg

P1010514.jpg

P1010517.jpg

P1010520.jpg

P1010522.jpg

P1010523.jpg

Wow. That looks pretty good.

Did you start with a kit or some sort of instructions? I ask because the holes look machine punched, like from a kit.

I've been studying the wheel on my truck as I drive to & from work, trying to figure out the best way to tackle it. The 16 year old leather is finally wearing through.

Nate,

I like it a lot!

-Robert

No it wasnt a kit. I pre-measured everything out and punched the holes myself prior to stitching them up. It was a load of hard work but it paid off, it feels really good in the hands.

-Nate

Nice job. I've been thinking about tackling that job on my car as well.

No it wasnt a kit. I pre-measured everything out and punched the holes myself prior to stitching them up. It was a load of hard work but it paid off, it feels really good in the hands.

-Nate

Any tips / instructions / pointers you could give?

It was hard to get the measurements right for the pieces, I would advise cutting them a little long, then when you get toward the end of the stitching, cut them to the right length. Stitch everything up loosely, then go back through with a pick and pull the thread tight one stitch at a time working your way up the piece... then itll all be drawn up tight. I dyed it after it was all stitched up and done, which worked out good for me. I would use a 3/4 oz leather if I did it again, the thickness I used was a little too much for this application I think. I would also work some glue on the wheel somehow just before stitching it just to keep it adhered well and take a little pressure off of all the stitching when you really grab the wheel and get forceful while driving. My car doesnt have power steering so I gotta get ahold of that bad boy sometimes!