I made a kinda neat shoe/sneaker thing.

This one was just a sample as I get used to using special shoemaking tools, the last, etc. The final version will have an actual sole and a wedge heel built into the sole rather than the simple block heel without any sole at all as in this photo.

I also opened up an extra lace hole but decided not to put a loop in it as the holes were too low for my liking.

The cuts done to the leather stripes of the Union Jack were pretty rough as I used a pair of leather scissors for them. Next time I'll just use a Japanese cutting knife which cuts perfectly straight lines much more easily without the fuzz and jagged edges.

Next time I'll try to make the stitching straighter but I'm only used to hand stitching, machine stitching on leather is a bit tougher to keep straight for me, especially with all the curves going on.

P.S. I'm not British! This kind of pattern is just popular in Japan among young people at the moment.

post-26744-046672600 1337351277_thumb.jp

Edited by paradoxbox

I am impressed. I can barely tie my own shoes let alone make one. Very nice.

Good job so far. Will you be finishing them yourself?

You can get rid of the fuzz before you sew the pieces next time with a flame passed quickly across the back edge.

But of course a sharp knife is critical to seeing advancement.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I did take a class to learn how to do this but I would say it's not necessary if you only have a good book or instruction video on how to do it available to you. You will also need to buy several special tools to do it, though you could improvise some of the tools. A machine skiver makes things go pretty quickly at times.

However the finer points of changing the pattern do require a lot of experience in pattern design to get right the first time. Any pattern changes don't just appear as 2 dimensional changes as in most leather projects, but 3d changes that can destroy the fit of the shoe if not carefully considered.

As this shoe was just a sample I will be starting my first "real" pair this Friday with full soles and will be cutting the leather using a Japanese cutting knife so the cuts should all be perfect next time. Hopefully I can get the stitching a little cleaner too!

Thanks again for the comments!

Edited by paradoxbox

Looking good! The rough cuts are fine, gives the flag a nice touch! For a first try I'm well impressed!! Keep it up!

Looks great for a first try and I too think the rough edges suit the design.

Would like to see this Japanese cutting knife if you could post a pic!

Hey Nick,

Here's a picture of the Japanese knife.

I started on the final pair earlier this afternoon. Here's how far I've gotten after a few hours worth of tracing, cutting and gluing. Next step will be to sew the stripes of the union jack, then I will sew all the parts of the shoe together.

post-26744-025346400 1337947569_thumb.jp

post-26744-042366200 1337947582_thumb.jp

gluing and cutting out the pieces. i've already since sewn everything together since taking this pic.

554398_10150970473665288_1368903770_n.jpg

Here's a picture of the Japanese knife.

post-26744-025346400 1337947569_thumb.jp

I've seen these knives for sale. I keep meaning to add one to my arsenal of tools. Got to love that picture, it looks like the knife is USB powered. lol