AmandaM

Anyone Worked With Moose?

I get a lot of supplies from this funky old craft store and they might be able order some moose hide for me. Has anyone worked with it and did it present any problems? I am making archery accessories (quivers, arm guards), not moccasins or saddle seats with it. It seems a little stretchy, but not as bad as deer hide. It had me at the butter soft finish. :)

I get a lot of supplies from this funky old craft store and they might be able order some moose hide for me. Has anyone worked with it and did it present any problems? I am making archery accessories (quivers, arm guards), not moccasins or saddle seats with it. It seems a little stretchy, but not as bad as deer hide. It had me at the butter soft finish. smile.gif

Funny you should ask, Amanda.

I tried it one time a few years back, can't say I recommend it though. Those critters are ornery as heck! It seems my horse and me had decided to part company one night

over some disagreement we'd had that particular day, while lookin' up strays up in the Wasatch Range. Well, he wouldn't let it drop, and next thing I knew, he up and run off! Just like that.

Took the pickett line, feed bag, an' hobbles with him. Bein' fairly much an optimistic sort, I figger'd he go off a ways an pout,....get ta thinkin' it over, an' seein' the error of his ways, be back in the mornin'.

Well, come mornin', myself lookin forward to fine day of sharin' time with my ole' cayuse and pal,...my trusty partner, an' noble steed, I rooled outta' my bedroll an' found he'd not returned, at least not to stay.

Bein' the grudge holdenest wring tail I ever knew, he'd obviously slipped back durin' the night, an' took my pack mule with him. Now, I was seein' red, just about to start swearin' things that would'nt hold in church. I figger'd the best thing fer me to do was ta' sit down, cool off a bit, and give the rascal the benefit of doubt, knowin' full well that he weren't the smartest mother's son that ever wobbled on four legs, when I got to thinkin'

about some of them moose we'd been dodgin' fer the past few days. It occured to me that if I could slip up real quiet like, an throw a loop over one of 'em, I could most likely ride one out a few rounds, an' solve my whole

transportation problem, seein' how they're kinda dumb lookin', an I never was prone to leggin' it out much anyhow. To make a long story short, I picked up my saddle and headed for the willow thicket where them mooses

like to hang out, an shore enough, there was three 'er four of 'em just waitin' to be lassood. I put my saddle down next to a good sized aspen tree, an' slipped up as close as I could to one of them critters, shook out a good size

loop and houlihanded that beast. Then I ran back a short distance to the tree where I laid the saddle, an' started taken up slack around that aspen,.......Ooops! Never mind. I thought you asked........ with A Moose?....... Sorry!

Tall guy 6' 7" shaved head, worked with him in a factory. Whoops wrong moose.

charlie

Funny you should ask, Amanda.

I tried it one time a few years back, can't say I recommend it though. Those critters are ornery as heck! It seems my horse and me had decided to part company one night

over some disagreement we'd had that particular day, while lookin' up strays up in the Wasatch Range. Well, he wouldn't let it drop, and next thing I knew, he up and run off! Just like that.

Took the pickett line, feed bag, an' hobbles with him. Bein' fairly much an optimistic sort, I figger'd he go off a ways an pout,....get ta thinkin' it over, an' seein' the error of his ways, be back in the mornin'.

Well, come mornin', myself lookin forward to fine day of sharin' time with my ole' cayuse and pal,...my trusty partner, an' noble steed, I rooled outta' my bedroll an' found he'd not returned, at least not to stay.

Bein' the grudge holdenest wring tail I ever knew, he'd obviously slipped back durin' the night, an' took my pack mule with him. Now, I was seein' red, just about to start swearin' things that would'nt hold in church. I figger'd the best thing fer me to do was ta' sit down, cool off a bit, and give the rascal the benefit of doubt, knowin' full well that he weren't the smartest mother's son that ever wobbled on four legs, when I got to thinkin'

about some of them moose we'd been dodgin' fer the past few days. It occured to me that if I could slip up real quiet like, an throw a loop over one of 'em, I could most likely ride one out a few rounds, an' solve my whole

transportation problem, seein' how they're kinda dumb lookin', an I never was prone to leggin' it out much anyhow. To make a long story short, I picked up my saddle and headed for the willow thicket where them mooses

like to hang out, an shore enough, there was three 'er four of 'em just waitin' to be lassood. I put my saddle down next to a good sized aspen tree, an' slipped up as close as I could to one of them critters, shook out a good size

loop and houlihanded that beast. Then I ran back a short distance to the tree where I laid the saddle, an' started taken up slack around that aspen,.......Ooops! Never mind. I thought you asked........ with A Moose?....... Sorry!

specool.gif

Älgträns.jpg

post-5173-127166266476_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldtimer

specool.gif

By gawd, Oldtimer,...Looks like you got 'er done! Ole' Bullwinkle looks fairly timid, shore 'nuff!!

Looks like ya' did fine job 'a wearin' them palms down to a nubbin' too! shore makes it alot easier

ta' slip that headgear on, don't it?

Tall guy 6' 7" shaved head, worked with him in a factory. Whoops wrong moose.

charlie

Ya' Know, Charlie.........I believe you may be right! At least you read the ladies question correctly.

I need to slow down, an' take my time readin' these things, 'stead a goin' of half cocked an' makin'

a dern'd fool 'a maself.

Makes me wanna go out an' skin one a' them critters, just so's I kin give the poor woman a legitimate answer.

Them speed readin' courses ain't all ther' cracked up ta' be.

Coffee doesn't feel good coming out of your nose.

Coffee doesn't feel good coming out of your nose.

Dammit Boy!!!......Did ya' really think it was goin' to???

HI Mike;;

I have used moose hide and found it to be like firm elk hide ;;I like it very much ,,strong and durable ....Doc..

We had a draft in the barn named Moose. A real moose would have been easier to deal with. And smaller. ;)

Thanks,

A