Here I was doing some sorting and cleaning for my upcoming move and what did I find, my test pieces I layed out 5 months ago. Had totally forgotten about them! :lol:

You are in for some surprise. And before you say anything, yes, I did triple check everything when I started it, making sure to label the colors right, and same when I took the pictures and processed them.

There was a single coat of dye applied with a wool dauber, no finish.

The first ones are not too bad so here we go.

01DarkCocoaBrown.jpg

02EmeraldGreen.jpg03DarkMahogany.jpg

04BisonBrown.jpg

Here we start seeing some degradation.

05TimberBrown.jpg

06Scarlet.jpg

07CanyonTan.jpg

08JavaBrown.jpg

09SunshineYellow.jpg

10CoalBlack.jpg

(really nice having a black that turns light grey :thumbsdown: )

And here's the real shocker (this is where you should sit down, before looking).11EveningBlue.jpg

12DeepViolet.jpg

These last two really threw me when I saw them, blue turned green and violet turned beige. What the heck happened... I know colors will fade over time but this dramatic of a change? Within 5 months? :blink:

post-1763-1210523123_thumb.jpg

post-1763-1210523139_thumb.jpg

post-1763-1210523150_thumb.jpg

post-1763-1210523161_thumb.jpg

post-1763-1210523186_thumb.jpg

post-1763-1210523218_thumb.jpg

post-1763-1210523230_thumb.jpg

post-1763-1210523243_thumb.jpg

post-1763-1210523256_thumb.jpg

post-1763-1210523268_thumb.jpg

post-1763-1210523289_thumb.jpg

post-1763-1210523301_thumb.jpg

And here's the real shocker (this is where you should sit down, before looking).11EveningBlue.jpg

12DeepViolet.jpg

These last two really threw me when I saw them, blue turned green and violet turned beige. What the heck happened... I know colors will fade over time but this dramatic of a change? Within 5 months? :blink:

These 2 have been removed from tandy's lineup- they were removed several months ago, precisely because of this problem. Their entire stock of these colors was sold at a greatly reduced price & people were told why (at least at my local store, anyway).

I don't know if the colors have been reformulated yet.

Your test is more thorough than the one I started last year, but I got almost exactly the same results. I've had three samples sitting in a south-facing window, getting several hours of direct sunlight daily since last July. The first photo shows how they looked just after the application of dye and before I placed them in the window. The second shows how they look now. The colors are Cranberry, Sunshine Yellow, and Evening Blue.

DyeSamples_July8_500.jpg

DyeSamples_May11_08.jpg

As mentioned already, the issue with the blue and purple are known by Tandy. Last I heard, they were going to have new formulas for those colors out in a couple of months. That was about 6 months ago. As for the others, if they hold up this well under intense light, imagine how well they will do in average room lighting conditions. Now if they could come up with something this light-fast, AND resistant to moisture, then they'll really have something.

Kate

post-7-1210527805_thumb.jpg

post-7-1210527820_thumb.jpg

Here's a complete project that was all eco flo dyes. Applied in a few coats and sealed , just like I would do using what ever dye.

The Koi fish i did. My work folder for it "finished " was dated ; Monday, September 10, 2007

koifish02.jpg

Just took the picture outside and took a picture of it ; Sunday, May 11, 2008

koifish8moths.jpg

post-158-1210528999_thumb.jpg

post-158-1210529138_thumb.jpg

Looks like your koi fish is holding up very well! And thanks for allowing us to feast our eyes on it once again. What kind of lighting conditions is this piece normally exposed to where you have it displayed?

Kate

These tests pieces you all are doing is really interesting. The fading that occurs with spirit dyes is why I decided to concentrate my efforts on learning to color with acrylics. But I really like the effects I can get with the eco flows on certain things like oak leaves. I find them really easy to use and blend. When I use them, i usually dilute them up to half with water and I wonder if that will make them fade even more? It will be really interesting to see what happens as time goes on. Thank to those of you that are sharing the experience you have had with them so far.

whinewine & CitizenKate - Didn't know about the blue and violet having been removed. Not going to Tandy as often as I'd like (anyone wants to sponsor me :rolleyes2: ). Good thing they know about it and are working on a new formula. Let's hope they'll come up with something better. As for making them waterproof, that would be great 'cause I like these colors, but I won't be holding my breath on that.

Freak - Somehow I missed your koy fish. Great looking artwork! I see the colors haven't shifted. Where is it placed? Does it get any sunlight?

ClayB - I haven't looked into acrylics yet. I'm guessing you're diluting them so they don't cover up the grain of the leather too much, right? If so, what do you dilute them with?

I'm not Clay, but acrylics can be diluted with water. There is also a thinning agent you can buy for acrylic, that also helps keep the pigment suspended and keeps the paint in your tray from drying out too quickly while you're working with it.

And yes, you do need to thin it, so it will absorb into the leather rather than just sitting on top of the surface. But Clay would be the best person to explain that whole process... Much of what I know about it I learned from him.

Kate

ClayB - I haven't looked into acrylics yet. I'm guessing you're diluting them so they don't cover up the grain of the leather too much, right? If so, what do you dilute them with?

Myriam,

The biggest draw back to acrylics is to try not to make it look like you are painting a house, getting the color without completly covering up the leather. I just dilute them with water and apply more coats until I get what I want. They make extenders (or something like that) that are supposed to dilute them, make them dry slower and blend better. I have some and have tried it a couple times, but it worked different than water. I need to play with them more to figure out how to use them. But water seems to work just fine on the pictures I do.

Thanks for your replies, Kate and Clay. Guess I'll invest in a couple of acrylic colors and give them a try. Any brand you prefer?

Kate & Clay,

I "believe" Kate airbrushes her acrylics and Clay daubs & brushes his. Is that correct?

Thanks

Regis

I dont think it matters a whole lot which brand you use. I started with Liquitex because that's what Silva Fox uses in her video. I learned a lot about coloring from her. I also use a lot of Delta Ceramacoat because that's what Jan Schoonover used in all the classes I took from him. You can get them at Wal Mart and places like that and they are pretty inexpensive.

I really wish I could take credit for some of Kate's abilities, but that wouldn't be fair. She does really cool stuff with color and I have always been really impressed with her work.

Thanks for the info, Clay. I'll go take a look and see what I can find in the stores.

I have done some of both, and I agree with Clay, it works pretty much the same way regardless of what tool you use to apply it. The only thing I would add is, if you use an airbrush, the acrylic thinner is definitely better to use as a thinning agent than water, as it keeps pigment from clogging your brush.

Kate

I "believe" Kate airbrushes her acrylics and Clay daubs & brushes his. Is that correct?

The only thing I would add is, if you use an airbrush, the acrylic thinner is definitely better to use as a thinning agent than water, as it keeps pigment from clogging your brush.

Kate

That's interesting. I just found Delta Ceramacoat Thinning agent (after I read your post). I though the thinners were just for enamel acrylic. I'm just getting into airbrushing so I'll jump right in there with proper thinner. I took a basic airbrush class and the instructor cleaned everything with Windex with amonia. He never mentioned thinners.

Thanks,

Regis

Edited by Regis

The Delta Dreamcoat thinner is what I've been using.

Windex, huh? I'll have to try that.

Kate

That's interesting. I just found Delta Ceramacoat Thinning agent (after I read your post). I though the thinners were just for enamel acrylic. I'm just getting into airbrushing so I'll jump right in there with proper thinner. I took a basic airbrush class and the instructor cleaned everything with Windex with amonia. He never mentioned thinners.

Kate,

He made a point to stress that Windex "with" Amonia.

I posted what i did in a big hurry, hurry fashion. sorry. No that picture is not in direct sun light . It's in a room that gets a lot of sun light in but no real direct sun light on the picture. I"m sure it would make a big difference. I do know that if i used some of the blue from that same bottle is will look more like a pale navy blue now. Not sure about the violet but i'm sure it would be the same. One thing i've noticed with most of the eco flo dye is once a bottle has been open , it's shelf life is limited. Some of the different colors of brown have changed a little as well. I or some one needs to dye something with at least 2 coats or one heavy one. Then seal it good and but that in the sun for a while. I have some coasters that i did in "range tan" and sealed, that saw some sun. The color got a little darker but much richer looking.

Point noted, I will give it a try.

Thanks,

Kate

Kate,

He made a point to stress that Windex "with" Amonia.

Not that we should start placing our work in direct sunlight, just 'cause we can. We're just pounding the heck out of these dyes just to see what they will stand up to. I am guessing these dyes will hold up in normal lighting conditions much better than the spirit dyes. Thanks for the info, ya freak! :crazy:

Kate

I posted what i did in a big hurry, hurry fashion. sorry. No that picture is not in direct sun light . It's in a room that gets a lot of sun light in but no real direct sun light on the picture. I"m sure it would make a big difference.

Good job with these tests Myriam and Kate and thanks for sharing your findings.

I always find this kind of stuff very interesting to read about.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Kate,

Where did you pick up you acrylic thinners? I've just very recently began playing with an airbrush that was gifted to me and have NOT had much success using water to thin paint with. I saw a bottle of Liquitex thinner this weekend but was hesitant to pick up with no mixing instructions/formula and it was kind of pricey for experimentation.

I got mine at Ben Franklin, but I've also seen it at places like Hobby Lobby. Look in the same section where the paints are.

Kate

Where did you pick up you acrylic thinners? I've just very recently began playing with an airbrush that was gifted to me and have NOT had much success using water to thin paint with. I saw a bottle of Liquitex thinner this weekend but was hesitant to pick up with no mixing instructions/formula and it was kind of pricey for experimentation.

Thanks Kate!