snubbyfan

New Guy To Forum

I'm of American Indian descent. When I got my concealed carry license I needed a concealable handgun and holster. I decided on a S&W enclosed hammer DAO snubby. Now I needed a holster. I shopped around and found the prices of leather holsters to be way too high, so I decided to make my own. I got myself a $20 hunk of leather and made 3 holsters and a wet molded ammo pouch.

I've sold some leather products to help finance my new hobby and now I'm thinking of trying my hand at some leather carving and stamping.

The problem I'm having is that I have a condition called Multifocal motor neuropathy. It's a degenerative motor nerve condition. I can still work with leather it just takes a while with lots of time to allow my hands to rest. I consider leatherwork to be good therapy.

These are pics of my latest holster efforts. The one with beadwork was requested by an American Indian friend. He wanted me to "Indian it up," a little. Along with a pocket holster.

post-37519-0-55124700-1356287264_thumb.j

post-37519-0-14294400-1356287287_thumb.j

post-37519-0-45004500-1356287388_thumb.j

Looks like your off to a good start. Like the beadwork also

Welcome...I don't know anything about the construction of holsters but I love seeing the posted photos on this site. You look like you're doing a good job. I also like beading.

Welcome Snubby,

Many people find leatherwork therapeutic. I find it relieves stress and there many on here with disabilities of some sort. The beauty of leather is that it is patient. There's nothing about the process that requires speed. In fact, some of use have had to learn to slow down to accommodate the speed that leather likes. I am the worst offender!

I love the term "Indian it up" ! Its very descriptive!

Welcome to the forum Subbyfan! Nice work and hope it brings you years of service.

Welcome aboard!

I too find leatherwork theriputic, not so much physically but mentally... I work a high stress job and it eleviates a lot of that when I pound on some hide for a while!

Look forward to seeing future work from you!

Thanks for the welcome, I just finished another holster and I was gonna post a pic of it but my camera batteries were dead.

Instead here's some other stuff I've done. That's a rawhide lined neck sheath with brass cone and glass bead dangles. A Tomahawk with a hand forged head, hand fitted handle with a leather wrap with Buffalo horn hairpipe, brass bead, brass cones and hackle feather dangles. At the top is a Buffalo horn choker

post-37519-0-67384300-1356394515_thumb.j