dustin29

Procrafter tools

I was just surfing the web and I found a site named sdtradingco.com, and they had a line of tools called Procrafters. Has anybody ever used this line of tools, and if so are they any good?

I have 4 checkered bevelers, a basket weave and a couple of pebble backgrounds that are procrafters. I purchased mine from Hide Crafter a number of years ago. If I remember correctly these tools were specifically made for Hide Crafter Leather (The original Hidecrafters) to be a better quality tool at a mid range price. They were designed by a number of tool makeres, including Robert Beard, Jay Gore, Ellis Barnes and Barry King. There may have been a few others I am not sure. The ones I have used have better angles and details than the basic tools. They are kind of a step in between. I like the ones I have. Hope this helps - Deb

I have 4 checkered bevelers, a basket weave and a couple of pebble backgrounds that are procrafters. I purchased mine from Hide Crafter a number of years ago. If I remember correctly these tools were specifically made for Hide Crafter Leather (The original Hidecrafters) to be a better quality tool at a mid range price. They were designed by a number of tool makeres, including Robert Beard, Jay Gore, Ellis Barnes and Barry King. There may have been a few others I am not sure. The ones I have used have better angles and details than the basic tools. They are kind of a step in between. I like the ones I have. Hope this helps - Deb

Thanks Deb, thats exactly what I wanted to know. I have all Craftools, but I am looking to upgrade although I cant afford to buy all Barry King or Robert Beard tools. This is just what I am looking for a tool that is better than entry level but still affordable. Have you ever used Crown tools that come from siegel?

They are very good for the money. I have a set of bevelers, a couple of basketweave stamps, and a few border stamps. They all make very nice, crisp impressions. Highly recommended. And I think you can still get them at Hidecrafters.

Kate

Are the ProCrafters the dark colored ones that Hidecrafters sells/sold?

The finishes on that line of tools varies. Some of them have a dark, bluish-black finish on them, others have a chrome finish (which is quite a bit better than a typical CT), and others yet are more like stainless (but I'm not sure that's exactly what they are).

Kate

Have you ever used Crown tools that come from siegel?

Not Deb59 here, but I have used the Crown tools (made in Japan by Kyoshin Elle and Craft Japan, if I'm not mistaken) from Siegel of California. I would say of the ones I have bought, they are definitely better quality than the Craftools. Unfortunately, I believe SofC will no longer be stocking these stamps, but as far as I know, Hidcrafter sells some of them. . .

L'Bum

I believe SBTrading is an authorized dealer for Hidecrafter. The dark colored Procrafters were the first set that George Hurst put out with the help of many other master tool makers as stated earlier. According to the George the stainless steel and blueish one where the second round (long story) but he didn't like the first set that came out. I know that H/C had a procrafter set for Sheridan, but the last two time, I know that they were closing out of the tools like the Venier and Border? Maybe more, not sure. H/C still carries Craft Japan, which are a step up from Crafttool, IMHO. I own all kinds of tools, but I like my procrafter bevelers for most of my beveling. If I need to change, I will go to the less steep set from H/C, craft japan.

You can't go wrong with any tools that H/C makes. I have enjoyed my set. I still think Ron is doing the "buy 10+, get 10% off"; "20+ tools, get 20% off" thing. Call Ron and find out. Also, if you tell Ron what Crafttool number tool you are looking for, he can without looking tell you Craft Japan's equal. I even think they use the same number, but don't quote me.

Good luck.

Thanks for all of the input I am going to start ordering some of these tools to replace my craftools.

I did not know what the story was behind the different colors on the ProCrafters. I have not ever used the Crown tools. I have seen an ad in the Leather Crafter and Saddlers journal as well as on here for a Gomph Hackbarth set at a good price. I have never used them either but one of the members of our guild has a couple and likes them.

After using the ProCrafter Bevelers, If I pick up a Craftool beveler I have a hard time using it. It's kind of like building something with a square nail instead of a round one LOL

I am also a "tool collector" I have anything from Old Craftool to New Craftool, Pro Crafter & Barry King. Have fun with your tool shopping - Deb

I did not know what the story was behind the different colors on the ProCrafters. I have not ever used the Crown tools. I have seen an ad in the Leather Crafter and Saddlers journal as well as on here for a Gomph Hackbarth set at a good price. I have never used them either but one of the members of our guild has a couple and likes them.

After using the ProCrafter Bevelers, If I pick up a Craftool beveler I have a hard time using it. It's kind of like building something with a square nail instead of a round one LOL

I am also a "tool collector" I have anything from Old Craftool to New Craftool, Pro Crafter & Barry King. Have fun with your tool shopping - Deb

Thanks for all of the help Deb. I am going to order some Crown tools, because they seem to be having a going out of sale{on Crown Tools} price. Very Cheap.