cmantz

Balancing Out The Leather Between Top And Lining

I am trying to come up with a "recipe" for nosebands...and maybe I am over-thinking this and trying to make an "exact" rule in a not so exact world.

I have been using pre-click horse butts from SLC and I LOVE the way they laser and I love the final color you get without the need to dye the leather....however I wish they were heavier. I have lined them with pigskin, deertan, 3 oz. economy tooling leather, and even 5/6 oz. HO shoulder. I like the "feel" of the finished product when it is thicker (ie: w/ the 5/6 oz. lining for example) but I like the flexibility of the light weight lining like the deertan.

I have also used the veg tanned pre-click nosebands made from 7-9 oz leather but not as happy with how they laser as compared to the horse but I like the weight of them.

But here is my issue....seems a little silly to me to have more money into the backside of the piece than I do the front side :rolleyes2:

So, is there a general rule as far as combining leather? How much heavier should the top be vs the bottom? Can they be equal weights?

What about with tack such as headstalls or breastcollars?