Here's a couple of gun racks that I made recently.

Thanks for looking.

Butch

IMG_0068_2.JPG IMG_0072_1.JPG IMG_0077_1.JPG

post-5743-125911158721_thumb.jpg

post-5743-125911161401_thumb.jpg

post-5743-125911163462_thumb.jpg

Man that is realy nice work ....DOC.....

Very nice. I want to try a set of those someday.

Very nicely done!  You took a lot of time and care in that one. :notworthy:

Storm

Thanks everyone. These went to my wife's cousin. He wanted 1 that would hold 4 guns but I didn't think the weight of 4 guns would be a good idea.

Thanks,

Butch

Here's a couple of gun racks that I made recently.

Thanks for looking.

Butch

IMG_0068_2.JPG IMG_0072_1.JPG IMG_0077_1.JPG

Nicely done. You sure know how to tame a wild piece of leather! How did you stiffen it up to support the weight?

those are sharp indeed!!...when using the san carlos border...which i haven't done yet...how the heck do ya figure how much room is needed to start & end that border cleanly?? or when you come towards the end & gonna meet the start, do you just adjust more or less on the last few impressions??

dieselclatterok,

I use either 1/8" or 1/4" board. For the 1/8" I can just use large rivets, but for the 1/4" I have to get a bigger drill bit and recess out the back of the board a bit so that the rivet will fit. Then I just dye the edges of the wood to blend in with the leather.

Thanks for looking,

Butch

Nicely done. You sure know how to tame a wild piece of leather! How did you stiffen it up to support the weight?

Edited by Butch

I'm confused, can we see one in use?

Dave

Sodapop I should probably leave this to the experts and hopefully they'll chime in. My best shot at it is just from practicing it and trying to figure out the width of the border that I want and where the overlap will occur. Corners are the hardest part, but when I do I try to make it look like a spade in each corner. These don't have any square corners so they were a little easier to do. When I go from one side of the border to the other side I just leave a little bit of a gap from each tips and I think that's what works best for me.

Hope that helps.

Butch

those are sharp indeed!!...when using the san carlos border...which i haven't done yet...how the heck do ya figure how much room is needed to start & end that border cleanly?? or when you come towards the end & gonna meet the start, do you just adjust more or less on the last few impressions??

Edited by Butch

Dave,

I'm at work right now, but if someone hasn't already done it by the time I get home I'll post something tonight.

Thanks,

Butch

I'm confused, can we see one in use?

Dave

Here's how I do the border.

Currently I use the Craftool D444S Stamp_D4445.JPG

I didn't notice that it has nicks in it until I took this picture. (Probably time to buy a good one)

It is 1/4" wide Stamp_Size.JPG

I use a divider to create the area that I'm going to stamp and then cut it with a swivel knife.

Using this stamp I make the inside area 3/8" wide

Measuring_Width.JPG

Looking at the lines using the 3/8" wide area allows the top stamp center to align with the bottom stamps top and vice verse.

Centering.JPG

Stamping the corner in the shape of a Spade: Stamping_Corner.JPG Stamping_Corner_Right.JPG

I leave a little bit of distance between the top and bottom stamp so that the border is close to the same size all the time. I've seen that if I don't put a little bit of distance the corners of the top and bottom almost cut into each other.

Stamping.JPG

Rough_Draft.JPG

Sodapop I can't really explain how to start and end other than what you mentioned. If I have corners I do them first and then move out from there and try to gauge where my next corner is so it flows correctly and you don't have two stamps at the top or two at the bottom. There's been times where I think it has all worked out perfect and then other times where I get very close and the ending or the border either gets really tight or really loose. It just takes a lot of practice and I'm still trying to figure that part out myself.

After I'm all done I take a modeling tool and try to smooth out the rough areas.

If anyone else has their own opinion on how they do it, please let us know.

Hope this has been of some help.

Butch

post-5743-125963655601_thumb.jpg

post-5743-125963659442_thumb.jpg

post-5743-125963670947_thumb.jpg

post-5743-125963677628_thumb.jpg

post-5743-125963681767_thumb.jpg

post-5743-125963723103_thumb.jpg

post-5743-125963727122_thumb.jpg

post-5743-125963747641_thumb.jpg

Edited by Butch

much appreciated takin the time to illustrate it butch!!...i'm sure it will help others as well with that border...its a really cool border to use...and i've been meaning to...but then i think about how i'm going to calculate the distance so it all fits clean and i go...ahhhhhh hell maybe next time lol

but ya, makes perfect sense to do the corners/spades first...cuz if you screw those up...its gonna be very obvious...where on the others if the squiggle line is a little thicker or thinner than the next when your coming towards the end...not so noticable...then keep in mind to find a proper end point that possibly a strap may be stitched on top as well etc...

cheers.gif

Edited by sodapop

This is a really interesting way to use that tool. I bought one about a year ago and can not get the hearts to line up and look right. I think this might be my new way to use this tool as the other just does not work for me. :) Thanks for the post!