tboyce

One Of The Coolest Keyrings I've Ever Seen

I saw this on Pinterest and it looked like just the thing for all the scrap leather I'm always collecting.

It's about the most useful keyring I've come across, super easy and fast to knock out.

The print size is 8-1/2x11

434561755549538529_8f337a57758c.jpg

keyring.pdf

It's usually the simplest ideas that make the coolest things! Thanks for the pattern, Tom!

Bill

Thanks for the pattern!

I've seen similar one but it used snaps on the back and (when apart) would slip in a briefcase or small bag easily. looks like this one can be used the same way!

I just realized how this concept can be incorporated into a design for a sleeve that would hold an iPad or (in my case) an LG Tablet....stay tuned for updates

That is a fantastic item to make with leftover scrap leather!

Thanks for posting it.

Tks Tom, you "Rocks" :notworthy:

I just realized how this concept can be incorporated into a design for a sleeve that would hold an iPad or (in my case) an LG Tablet....stay tuned for updates

WooHoo! I can throw out that poorly designed piece of crap pattern I've been working on!

Cool, thanks Tom!

Once again, you have come through, this rocks. :thumbsup:

Again Thank you for time and sharing it.

Thanks a ton, I have another idea as an add to this..... It can also be used as a pipe stand unfolded of course. Very cool

Thank you for sharing this pattern!!

I made a few using scrap leather I have, 2-3 oz and 6 oz, the thin was to flexible and would not hold up, the 6 oz is too stiff. I need to get some 4-5 oz and try that. Anyone else make this keyring?

I've made a few with different wieghts and found that 3-4 oz worked best.

But I did burnish the back, dye it and rub some beeswax on there to stiffen it up.

I did a modified version out of 8oz that will hold a 7" tablet.

Thank you for doing the pattern by the way!

Edited by Redochre

Made a quick one to test today, works great! Thank you :) Looking forward to seeing the tablet version too :)

I made a few myself. For me 1.8 mm (sorry I'm from Belgium) worked the best.

Only one problem. I looked the origninal maker up on google and he also is guy from Belgium called Alain Berteau .

I decided not to make or promote any more of them. He lives maybe 50 km from my home and I feel bad just taking his design and make money out his work.

He is actually a great designer who won an award 2006 as DESIGNER OF THE YEAR. He has is own collection Objekten but he worked for companies like BULO.

Being in Australia means I would be charged 3 times the price of the keyring just for the postage, and for recycled bonded 'leather' at that :/ I'll make my own. Thanks for the pattern tboyce

I made a few myself. For me 1.8 mm (sorry I'm from Belgium) worked the best.

Only one problem. I looked the origninal maker up on google and he also is guy from Belgium called Alain Berteau .

I decided not to make or promote any more of them. He lives maybe 50 km from my home and I feel bad just taking his design and make money out his work.

He is actually a great designer who won an award 2006 as DESIGNER OF THE YEAR. He has is own collection Objekten but he worked for companies like BULO.

Kudos to you Tomstas! I agree with that logic 200%.

Karina

Cheers Tom.

How do you put the metal ring inside the leather? I have never done this before.

Its a two piece grommet and the picture shows the finished side and not the side that was rolled down.

Here is what they look like:

http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/1285-01.aspx

I whipped one of these up for my nightstand and used a rivet instead. Could also use a snap so it could lay flat in a travel bag.