Sign in to follow this  
tazzmann

IWB Holster Question

Hey guys, I am building an IWB holster for a gentleman and I have only done a couple others with stainless guns. On one with a matte black finish, what do you guys suggest to line the inside with to keep the matte finish from getting rubbed off? Also, he wants the holster black. Should I vinegaroon it to make it black or should I seal the black dye with something to help keep it from rubbing off?

Mike

I would not use a liner if it is a modern gun coating, they will wear better then one would think. or you could do one like the milt sparks summer special ( rough side out ).

I say no liner and dip dye the holster black, followed up by an acrylic topcoat (resolene, Angelus acrylic, etc).

+1 above

No liner, dye black and top coat. A holstered gun will have its finish worn no matter what. Just a fact of gun use and ownership. Anyone who doesn't want any gun to get worn anywhere should keep it as a safe queen. A gun is a terrible thing to waste :lol:

Thanks for the replies everyone! One more question... If the gentleman wants the rough side in, is there any trick you guys use to soften the inside or smooth the inside so that it doesn't feel like sandpaper after it dries from the wet moulding?

Mike

You could line it with veg pigskin. Tandy has theirs on sale for $1.99/ft at the moment. The hide I picked up leaves a lot to be desired on the hair side but is incredibly smooth and soft on the flesh side.

Thanks for the replies everyone! One more question... If the gentleman wants the rough side in, is there any trick you guys use to soften the inside or smooth the inside so that it doesn't feel like sandpaper after it dries from the wet moulding?

Mike

Mike, I dye the inside, then buff it so it does not rub off and then I use gum trag. to slick the surface. I use a bone folder but you can use a dowel rod or even the trust Sharpie. It does not make it soft but does make it smooth.

Carl

Yeah, the gum traganth works pretty good for smoothing it down. I tried one with pig skin, but I found that pig skin tends to 'grab' the gun a bit - not something you want with a holster.

Tazzmann, As to a rough inside, I don't have them. All of my holsters are made from two layers of veg tanned leather. For the 8-9 oz. weight usually desired I use either 3-4oz or 4-5 oz leather glued rough to rough. I then proceed as with a single piece of leather. The choice of leather is determined by the size and weight of the gun in question. I don't generally dye the inside layer unless requested by the customer. I mold the holster with the gun inside two heavy-weight plastic bags. This alows me to mold a well fitting holster but with just enough room in it so that there is not an odd spot for excessive wear. All guns will pick up 'holster wear' if carried and used. Mike