BoLdOrange

Which Beast To Buy ? Pfaff 335 , Consew 277R Or Singer 153K103 ?

Hello Leather Worker Net member's :) . I have been a watching from a far for a while but realize I need to be part of the community

to gain the knowledge so many of you Leather Jedi's have .

I am looking to replace a Singer 153w100 I bought ignorantly thinking it would chew thru heavy leather . I guess these machines are made more so for denim and light weight leather . I am looking to make Belts , bags and other leather goods .

I have the opportunity to purchase a Pfaff 335 - head only , a Consew 277r with full table and motor , or a Singer 153k103 .

Im wondering which is best for my needs ? I will be using Ostrich , Horse Hide and Heavy Cowhide leathers layered .

Advice please :)

How thick is the max total thickness you will sew? I have a Pfaff 335. It's a great machine. Max there'd size for that machine is about 138. If you're sewing regular bags, that's fine. If you want to sew saddle bags and holsters, that won't be heavy enough.

Andrew

I would say I will be sewing about 1" thick max maybe even 0.75" layers. The Pfaff looks good the head alone is 650 . The Consew is 650 complete. Im leaning towards the Consew because I keep hearing parts are easier to find . The Pfaff is an old one its a metal body

those wont do that and to sew leather that thick you will spend $3000.00 and up!!!

1" thick? What kinda bag are you sewing? For that thickness you'll have to get like a Campbell Lockstitch or something... That's really really thick.

Andrew

Yes those machines won't come close to sewing an inch, probably not even a half of an inch. Even the much larger 441 clones like the cowboys 3500 and 4500 will be maxed out at an inch. Bigger than that and you're going to get into BIG bucks on a machine. If you need to stitch under an inch but begone say 3/8" you'll want to get a 441 type machine.

Oops pardon my ignorance the complete thickness is more like 0.50" I was very very wrong. Based on that thickness which Machine would you experts recommend from my list ?

I still don't think those machines would work out for you. They would be good for the bags that aren't too heavy and things like that but they are not heavy stitchers and won't be suitable for heavy weight leathers. It helps to have a lightweight machine like those you mentioned and a heavy stitcher for things like holsters, thicker belts, saddle bags or sheaths.

If you do end up going with one of those you'd probably want one that's complete or figure in another 400-500 dollars to set it up with a stand/servo and speed reducer.

What are you going to be sewing? 1/2" is 32oz of leather. That's really thick for a bag. I make bags out of 6oz leather and my total thicknesses are usually under 15oz total at the max. I don't know what bag would require four layers of 8oz leather...

Andrew

I don't think his bags will be 1/2" thick, but by the sounds of it he's not going to be making just bags.

I am so new to this. I am not even familiar with how to gauge thickness of leather. I will visit the beginner section asap. What Im basically making will be leather belts wallets

purses duffel bags things like that all from leather I will not be making knife sheaths or gun holsters just yet. Maybe in a couple years. I appreciate everyones feed back but no body is really mentioning the brands and plus's or negatives of either ....

I am so new to this. I am not even familiar with how to gauge thickness of leather. I will visit the beginner section asap. What Im basically making will be leather belts wallets

purses duffel bags things like that all from leather I will not be making knife sheaths or gun holsters just yet. Maybe in a couple years. I appreciate everyones feed back but no body is really mentioning the brands and plus's or negatives of either ....

Hello Leather Worker Net member's :) . I have been a watching from a far for a while but realize I need to be part of the community

to gain the knowledge so many of you Leather Jedi's have .

I am looking to replace a Singer 153w100 I bought ignorantly thinking it would chew thru heavy leather . I guess these machines are made more so for denim and light weight leather . I am looking to make Belts , bags and other leather goods .

I have the opportunity to purchase a Pfaff 335 - head only , a Consew 277r with full table and motor , or a Singer 153k103 .

Im wondering which is best for my needs ? I will be using Ostrich , Horse Hide and Heavy Cowhide leathers layered .

Advice please :)

Hi, I am in the same boat as you and looking for those machines as well used, so if you can recommend the seller for the ones you dont get let me know. Judith

Y'all need to do some reading in this topic:http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25239

Of the machines you listed, the 227 is the best choice. It has more availability of accessories and parts.

However, instead of going through the process of basically building the machine I reccomend getting a machine thwt's ready to go, has a warranty, and has tech support. At the top of the page we have ad banners, and among them are several sewing machine dealers. These dealers KNOW the machines, inside and out, and have earned their reputations here. They also set the machines up specifically for leather...which is something YOU will have to learn to do if you get a used machine.

So, my recommendation for lightweight bags is either the CB227r from Toledo (Bob Kovar), or the Techsew 2700 (Ronnie). If you need a heavy stitcher, check out the Cobra class 4 or the CB4500. You can go to the websites and see the capapilities of each of these machines.

On 3/15/2013 at 10:16 AM, BoLdOrange said:

I am so new to this. I am not even familiar with how to gauge thickness of leather. I will visit the beginner section asap. What Im basically making will be leather belts wallets purses duffel bags things like that all from leather I will not be making knife sheaths or gun holsters just yet. Maybe in a couple years. I appreciate everyones feed back but nobody is really mentioning the brands and plus's or negatives of either ....

I would say I will be sewing about 1" thick max maybe even 0.75" layers. The Pfaff looks good the head alone is 650 . The Consew is 650 complete. Im leaning towards the Consew because I keep hearing parts are easier to find . The Pfaff is an old one its a metal body

11 hours ago, TexasCharlie said:

Do you realize that you are posting in a thread that hasn't been active since April 2013?

Have you checked out the Leather Sewing Machine forum?  Also read this thread.