RoosterShooter

Cb3200 Breaking Needle Thread In Reverse

These things only happen to me after everyone has gone home for the day! :rolleyes:

I just tried using my CB3200 in reverse. I was through my 23rd piece for the day where I had only been using the 'Poor Man's Reverse' out of pure habit.

I placed the machine in reverse after the needle bar was at it's highest point. Pushed down on the pedal, the needle moved inside the hole and broke the needle thread!

Any suggestions other than "Don't use reverse tonight"? :lol:

Have you tried changing out the needle making sure it is lined up perfectly? Maybe your top tension is too tight? Is the thread getting caught or wrapped around something? What size needle and thread are you using?

C4 users are told to stop the machine once the needle has risen 1/4 inch or so before reversing. It will actually work just before the needle leaves the leather. Never tried the top of the travel.

I'll try it and let you know.

No dice. This time ... when I put it in reverse. My needle thread got caught up in the Bobbin Shuttle and I had to clean out the rat's nest!

that's what I was gonna suggest.. look for some obstruction in the shuttle area .. it grabs the thread, which then twists wrong (because .. duh.. reverse :) ) and then.. well .. you see

I always shift to reverse after the needle has just started back up from Bottom like was said, the loop should have already been picked up at that point. Mine hasn't failed to work yet. But I agree that there might be some issue with the needle or the bobbin shuttle as was said also. The only problem I had (only once) was it started fraying and breaking the top thread in forward or reverse, after checking every thing I found that although the needle looked good it was slightly bent and wasn't exactly lined up anymore. I replaced that needle, made sure it was aligned perfectly and it is still sewing well. Might be a worn or misaligned needle.

Chief

It's a brand new machine! I have sewn less than 6 hours on it.

rooster, if its any consolation My new 3200 has broken thread last week when I close out a circle and stitch over, perplexing to figure out. No help, but as t least you know your not alone.

Few Questions:

1. Did the reverse ever work properly?

2. Have you changed needles and thread since it arrived? What size needle and thread.

3. What happens if you manually reverse the machine without flipping the lever.

4. Do you have a washer under the stitch lever plate?

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

It's a brand new machine! I have sewn less than 6 hours on it.

Mine had less than 2 hours on it when this happened, sewed fine till then, and after I replaced and aligned the needle it's sewed for several months since.

Just trying to be helpful, I hope you solve it.

Chief

The only time my 3200 broke thread was when the thread had gotten hung up around the lower tensioner. Check your entire thread path to make sure the thread is not hanging up anywhere.

I also had a problem when I forgot to pass the thread through the hole at the bottom of the needle bar near the needle clamp screw. The result was that the thread tension was pulling the needle to the left on the downstroke; far enough not to allow the hook to catch the loop of thread at the needle. This, in turn, didn't allow the stitch to form around the bobbin leaving a mess of threads in the bobbin case area and missed stitches in the workpiece.

Edited by msdeluca

Sometimes, wrapping the thread once around the needle will stop thread breakage and skipping problems caused by left needle deflection. It's worth a try and if it works, is a quick fix.

You didn't say what size needle and thread you're using?

You could try going up one needle size.

How heavy is your thread tension?

My bobbin tension is sitting at 3 3/4 lbs. and the top tension is 1 3/4 lbs. with the foot up.

Rooster: Common Courtesy: if you ask for help and some folks ask questions, answer them...

Cya!

Bob

Sometimes, wrapping the thread once around the needle will stop thread breakage and skipping problems caused by left needle deflection. It's worth a try and if it works, is a quick fix.

interesting Wiz... thanks!