Sign in to follow this  
wolvenstien

Anyone had this problem?

I took the original cover off my sissy bar back rest and used the cushion to make a template to cut the leather out with. Well... I cut the leather, tooled it, and laced the rear panel to the gusset and went to fit the cushion into the piece I had finished to get it ready to lace the front to it and the cushion is way too big for it now. I thought that if I cut the back and front the same size as the cushion and the gusset the same width, that it would fit... not the case... I didnt want to cut it larger for fear of cutting ti too large and it being "baggy".

Any suggestions? Wet it and force it to fit?

I will get pix in the morning.... to show how I put it together and what I am talking about.

sounds like you forgot to add a seam allowance. I've done that when I've been in a hurry/working too late/working too long/ not focusing.

OK, Yeah drac, I think you are right... I just have no clue how to cut this now.... I was expecting the edges to come together at a 90 but that isnt the case... i think if it stayed at a 90 it would have worked...

Here are the pix... What do ya'll think?

SB_Cushion_005.jpg

SB_Cushion_004.jpg

SB_Cushion_003.jpg

SB_Cushion_002.jpg

SB_Cushion_001.jpg

post-834-1200196923_thumb.jpg

post-834-1200196933_thumb.jpg

post-834-1200196939_thumb.jpg

post-834-1200196945_thumb.jpg

post-834-1200196950_thumb.jpg

WOLVIE... WHY NOT TRIM THE FOAM TO FIT. :whistle:

ALSO IN THE UPHOLSTRY BUSINESS THERE ARE TOOLS THAT COMPRESS

THE FOAM THAT IS PUT INTO CHAIR AND SOFA CUSHIONS

Edited by Luke Hatley

See the first and second pic? thats the "pan" for the cushion... it wont fit... I cant cut it down...

Soak the !@##$% outa the leather, and spray some silicone on the foam and force fit that sumbish.

It'll go.

KK

I am kind of scares about wet stretching it over the pan and cushion... scared it will warp and screw up the tooling....

Are these possible results of doing that? Where do you get spray silicone?

Wolvie, I hate to be the one to tell ya...but...Damned shame to have to cut all that lace out. I'm pretty sure what you're going to have to do is, start over and add 2/2" to 3/4" to the overall dimenssions to make up for the lace seams. Ven if you were to soak the @#*%! out of it, the chance of the basket weave getting screwed up is very good, and when it comes time to lace the front to the back, you're going to have problems.

The only other way I can think of to rectify it without having to scrap the leather, is to use a basic "X" cross lacing as you see on a lot of Beezas seats. That will give you much more room for the corners to actually become rounded.

One other thing, the person riding on the back is going to feel that lacing digging into thier back all the time.

Ken

trying the wetting and stretching WILL screw up the tooling, so that method's out. starting over from scratch and adding about 1/2" to the overall size on every piece is really your only way to go unless you use the "X" stitching. although fair warning, your rider will still feel that digging in too, just not as much. and the "X" stitching has the possiblity of small gaps which would suck if riding in the rain.

I really hate when that happens, just to throw a little stress breaker atcha you could always trade your bike in for a smaller one it might fit then. I'm sorry just couldn't resist, I feel for ya.

I think you're screwed dude, around here we nail stuff like that to the wall for a while just to make sure it sinks in and doesn't happen again. Thank god for having to paint once in a while or my wall would look like "don't let this happen to you" for a cow.

Wolvie,

I HATE doing things over! I am the type that would spend twice as much time adapting everything else to fit! :) I don't understand why you can't cut the pan/foam to fit the NEW Cover? What is the pan made of? When you have to improvise you call it "CUSTOM" Nice lacing! (cut the pan!) Good Luck!

I hate doing stuff twice too.... the pan is stainless steel, and I have nothing to cut it down and getting a smaller bike is out of the question...

I think I have an idea that Beave gave me without giving me.... I will work on it today and see if it works out some....

Hey Wolvie, glad I could help without helping..LOL

Ken

Hey Wolvie, glad I could help without helping..LOL

Ken

well... what I thought of was from what you mentioned about how Beeze does the X lacing... but I screded it up too.... Back to the drawing board....

I feel for ya Wolvie, I do hope that you can get it all worked out.

By the way, I thought you were going to go with a Dragon design on your seats?

Ken

I dont know if you allowed for this, but, when you use the cushion for the pattern and then punch holes and lace it together your NEW cushion size is measured to the inside of the holes. To make the cushion fit, you would have to enlarge your pattern by the distance from the inside of the holes to the edge of the leather. for example if your cushion is 15" square and you use 1/8" dia. holes that are 1/8" from the edge of the leather your pattern should be enlarged by 1/4" on all sides or 15 1/2" square.

Edited by David

I feel for ya Wolvie, I do hope that you can get it all worked out.

By the way, I thought you were going to go with a Dragon design on your seats?

Ken

I could not get anyone to hlp me with any type of design, and I saw either David or Beezes seat that was "elegantly simple" with basket weave tooling on the upper and lower of the seating area, and it looked nice, so since I could not get any help getting a scene that would bring all four pieces together, when I saw his seat I decided to go with something like that. It was posted on the 2007 board, and I dotn remember whose seat it was but I refered to it as "elegantly simple".

I dont know if you allowed for this, but, when you use the cushion for the pattern and then punch holes and lace it together your NEW cushion size is measured to the inside of the holes. To make the cushion fit, you would have to enlarge your pattern by the distance from the inside of the holes to the edge of the leather. for example if your cushion is 15" square and you use 1/8" dia. holes that are 1/8" from the edge of the leather your pattern should be enlarged by 1/4" on all sides or 15 1/2" square.

David, no I did not take this into account, and thank you for giving me the formula to figure it by... maybe now when i restart on it tomorrow I will get it to work.

I took the original cover off my sissy bar back rest and used the cushion to make a template to cut the leather out with. Well... I cut the leather, tooled it, and laced the rear panel to the gusset and went to fit the cushion into the piece I had finished to get it ready to lace the front to it and the cushion is way too big for it now. I thought that if I cut the back and front the same size as the cushion and the gusset the same width, that it would fit... not the case... I didnt want to cut it larger for fear of cutting ti too large and it being "baggy".

Any suggestions? Wet it and force it to fit?

I will get pix in the morning.... to show how I put it together and what I am talking about.

I think you need to unlace/sew and add leather. If it were me, I would buy some muslin, make a prototype/pattern before adding anything. You can use 'steam-a-seam' instead of sewing, you iron the seams & they can be pulled apart when you want to make final pattern.

Kat Frye

So...if your gonna havta start over might as well try the soak and stretch idea. Matter of fact, when i make a seat i always soak it and have not ever had a problem with the tooling coming out.

KK

If you are comfortable doing an edgebraid rather than a double or triple loop, you can still butt the edges together and lace it. It will take the suctioncup type lip away and leave it a lot flatter making it more comfortable for the passenger as well as possibly giving you the size you need. Google mexican edge braid and you'll come up with the instructions. I'd post them but I'm at work right now and don't have access the the image file.

Good luck. Looks like you've spent a lot of time stamping and it would be a shame to have to start over.

Gremlin, doing a google for "mexican edge braid" only gives me a broken link to leatherworker, and to a post by a gremlin here: http://jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16056

The pic of the seat shows what appears to be mexican basketweave as I know it, which is the same as what I used above on the sissy pad cover. Is this what you were referring to?

Opps - my mistake. Yes, what you have is a mexican basket weave which is the same as the edge braid (depending on who you talk to). I didn't look close enough to your pics.

So, instead of lacing the pieces side by side put them edge to edge and lace them flat. Don't let the top go over the bottom piece. Give that a try on a couple pieces of scrap first and see it that will work for you.

Wolvie, this has been bothering me all weekend, and I think I have a simple solution to your problem.

First, glue the edges of the front panel to the edges of the side panel together using a good contact cement.

Picture_001.jpg

Second, glue a strip of leather ( I use Pigskin) to the back of the panels. The corners will be a bit hard to do, but it can be done.

Picture_002.jpg

Third, repunch the holes through the stripping.

Picture_003.jpg

Fourth, start your lacing on the second hole from your starting point. And glue the tail down as shown. Then lace back into the first hole on the backside, and back to the front.

Picture_004.jpg

Fifth, on the front, cross over and lace into the second hole on the left side as shown.

Picture_005.jpg

Sixth, then lace from the back to the front again, the same as you did on the left side.

Picture_006.jpg

Seven, cross over the lacing and lace into the third hole, back a hole on the backside, then through to the front.

Picture_007.jpg

Picture_008.jpg

Eight, This is what I mean by lacing back a hole on the backside.

Picture_009.jpg

Nine, this is how you do a joint with this style of lacing. Run the lace under one of the loops a few spaces back and cut off. Start your new lace from under your last loop on the opposite side. As shown.

Picture_010.jpg

Ten, pull your lace through to the front, as you would have normally.

Picture_011.jpg

Picture_012.jpg

Eleven, the finished front lace.

Picture_013.jpg

Twelve, the finished back lace.

Picture_014.jpg

You should be able to moisten the lace when it comes time to wrap it around the foam, this will not effect it in any way.

As I said, the corners will be a bit of a bitch, but it can be done. Good luck, I hope this helps you save that seat.

Ken

post-1605-1200363431_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200363508_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200363545_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200363597_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200363680_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200363733_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200363973_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200364020_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200364072_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200364152_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200364292_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200364342_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200364383_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1200364411_thumb.jpg

Finish that one for another bike, and make yourself a new one. You'll fab a new back that someone can use. GHackett

Jordan, No way is Wolv gonna sell his Maggie and drive a smaller bike under the sissy bar pad. He'd wanta attach a auxilery fuel can to replace the pad before he'd wanta waste a perfectly good screemer. ROFLMAO. GH